Cable Glands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
Okay, I have a dumb question. I'd like to use cable grips or glands to secure the power cord coming out of the controller box that I'm building. But I have no idea how they are sized. On Amazon, I see PG7, PG9, PG11, etc. But how do those sizes correspond to wire gauges? For example, I have a 10 gauge, 3 conductor stranded wire for my element, and a standard 4-conductor 10 gauge dryer cord for power. Can someone provide the Rosetta stone for deciphering this? :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_gland

See the "cable diameter" column, which shows the min/max size of the cable outside dimension. My dryer cord power cable is .656 OD. With expandable sleeving and heat shrink it is .708 OD, so I went with PG29 just to be sure, but PG21 would have been fine I believe.

For example this PG9 cable gland from amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00841YDSM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

says Cable Range : 4-8mm / 0.15"- 0.31";Thread O.D. : 15.2mm / 0.59"

That means that cable thickness that it will work for needs to be between .15" and .31" and the hole you attach the gland to the enclosure needs to be .59" (or at least) So you will need to measure the thickness of your cable that you want to attach and find a gland that has a range that fits your cable. Then you will need to make a hole approx the size of the thread OD. Or if you already have a hole for the gland, find one that fits the hole and your cable size.

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the helpful replies! I didn't even think to consult Wikipedia. I did see the description on Amazon, but was wondering how that corresponded to the PG sizes. Now I know. And now I know that PG = Panzergewinde and is part of the DIN standard. Off to buy a caliper to figure out the exact cable thickness (although I suspect that its within the range of PG21 gland).

Off to buy a caliper to figure out the exact cable thickness (although I suspect that its within the range of PG21 gland).

Heh all I did was use a ruler. I don't think you need to be "100 percent dead-on balls accurate" Just so you are in the range.

While we're on the topic of cable glands, does anyone know of a decent source for them, either brick and mortar or online? I see lots of them on eBay from China, but I don't want to wait 15 to 30 days for them, especially since I'll be working on my controller build this weekend. I'll need a pair of either PG29 or 3/4 NPT based on my measurements. I'm also building a STC-1000 controller and would need some smaller ones for a 14# cord. Thanks!

While we're on the topic of cable glands, does anyone know of a decent source for them, either brick and mortar or online? I see lots of them on eBay from China, but I don't want to wait 15 to 30 days for them, especially since I'll be working on my controller build this weekend. I'll need a pair of either PG29 or 3/4 NPT based on my measurements. I'm also building a STC-1000 controller and would need some smaller ones for a 14# cord. Thanks!

I got mine here, which I thought was a good deal, and quick shipping too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170950967988

Back