C02 Tank empty - Beer Flat - Keg Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireberd350

Reaction score
I went to pour a beer and nothing came out. Looked at the C02 gauge and it read 0. I had 2 kegs tapped, both homebrew and fully carbed and pouring nicely. Fortunetaly one keg was about empty, but the other was nearly full. It could have been on 0 pressure for as long as 5 days. I tried to re-carb it but the favor is off and the consistency of the foam is as well.

• Is this keg ruined?
    Can I bring it back to life?
    What are some tips to avoid this in the future?

TIA

I had a full keg of California Common run out of CO2 and lose all of its pressure when I was on vacation last summer. It tasted oxidized so I thought I could dry hop it with Northern Brewer to mask it. I was wrong. It made it worse. I ended up dumping the whole keg. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Provided the keg was sealed the entire time and properly purged to begin with, there should be no risk of the beer getting stale/oxidized/bad. Just refill your tank, check all of your connections to find and fix the leak (because obviously you have one somewhere), and then hook up to your keg to recarb for a few days at the desired psi.

Back