C02 leak somewhere building a keezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xQuestx

Reaction score
I have a question about co2 drop. I'm building a new Keezer, and I've just hooked up all the gas lines to a four-port manifold. It's not hooked to any kegs at this point. I set my regulator to twenty psi last night, and it drops to 15 psi by morning. I've sprayed bubble soap on everything and can't find a leak anywhere. How could I be losing that five psi? I've also dunked the ball lock ends in water with no bubbles showing up. I'm at a loss at the moment. Thanks for any help.

When you say it dropped from 20 PSI to 15 PSI, is that with the CO2 cylinder open or closed?

Also we’re you lines and tank warm or at keezer temps before you set it?

That was with a closed co2 cylinder dropping from 20 psi to 15. The tank is around 40 degrees temperature and so are the lines.

That was with a closed co2 cylinder dropping from 20 psi to 15. The tank is around 40 degrees temperature and so are the lines.
Yes but we’re they at 40*f when it was 20 PSI originally? Becaus if not that explains your drop right there. Pressure drops as temp dropa

Last edited:
I think what he is asking is were the lines 40 degree when you set it, or closer to room temperature? Like was everything cold before and after you set to 20 psi, or was everything room temp, you set the pressure, then closed it in the keezer and it cooled to 40F?

If you set your pressure at a higher temp then cool down the lines, the pressure will drop.

EDIT: Sorry Dgallo, don't mean to answer for you.

Thanks guys , the temperature has never changed. I set them at 40 degrees and it’s always been the same temp.

Last edited:
Thanks guys , the temperature has never changed. I see them at 40 degrees and it’s always been the same temp.

So, now you need to isolate the leak. I would start by close the regulator's shutoff and repeating the experiment.

Open your register wide and set it to 30 psi. Then do the soapy water again. If there is a small leak, at the 30 psi you should see bubbles.

I just need further clarification because you said you are building your keezer. I get that you keezer has always been set at 40*f.

1) My question is did you have your tank, regulator, and lines out of the keezer when you were assembling your set up and then put it all in the keezer and then set it for 20 psi?

2) Or did you assemble it previously, put in your your keezer and then the next day (or longer) set it to 20 psi?

You should consider dunking the 4 port manifold in water as well. Just use a big pot or cake pan or something it will fit in. If it is a small leak the soap / water may not fully detect it. Get any connection point under water that you can, give it a full 30 seconds to be sure. If none of those are it, then it must be right at the tank. If it is that, cut it off and reconnect. Maybe even see if you can go down a 1/16 step ID tubing. I boil water and stick the end of the tubing in to soften before connecting and can get smaller than recommended tubing on.

You should consider dunking the 4 port manifold in water as well[...]

Exactly. My philosophy is to dunk test everything that can be dunk tested. I have shown this pic numerous times over the years along with noting there were four different types of leaks discovered, and what a nightmare I would have had if I had not dunk tested the assembly prior to installation...

1614797992177.png

Cheers!

Thanks for the help. I'll keep at it and try and figure this leak out. I'll try the manifold dunk test next. Just another question. If I do end up having a leak in the manifold, how do you even seal it up? Do they come apart?

Yes, you can remove a valve and rethread it in with more teflon tape. For now, do the leak down test with the regulator output valve shut off. That will make sure your reg to tank connection is sound and none of the accessories threaded into the main body are leaking.

Back