C02 concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH81!

Reaction score
Newish to brewing....i recently purchased a used keg and wanted to pressure test it so I hooked up my co2 tank which I had refilled recently applied about 15psi and when I was satisfied it wasn't leaking i released the pressure and when I opened the keg it was full of "smoke". I haven't experienced this before. Is there reason to be concerned? Is this normal? If not what would cause it?

Perfectly normal . If not I'm in trouble lol because I always see it when opening a keg thats just kicked . I think its because its a gas or gas liquid combo . As you can see from my non scientific vocabulary I'm not a science guy . Someone here will definitely have a better answer.

Welcome to HBT !

Perfectly normal . If not I'm in trouble lol because I always see it when opening a keg thats just kicked . I think its because its a gas or gas liquid combo . As you can see from my exquisite vocabulary I'm not a science guy . Someone here will definitely have a better answer.

Welcome to HBT !
Thank you, any and all info helps it does makes sense since it is a gas but I don't recall seeing like that before, super dense "smoke" that didn't dissipate unless I disturbed it...very similar to wet dry ice and i know dry ice is solid c02...i guess my concern is that the tank i received has a dip tube "siphon" in it although there isn't any indication that there is....thanks

It's simply condensed moisture. When releasing pressure temperature will drop (gas law) and if the gas is water vapor saturated there will be condensation due to the temperature drop. This is perfectly normal when venting pressure from vessels unless they are really free from moisture. You're basically making your own personal "cloud in a box". :)

It's simply condensed moisture. When releasing pressure temperature will drop (gas law) and if the gas is water vapor saturated there will be condensation due to the temperature drop. This is perfectly normal when venting pressure from vessels unless they are really free from moisture. You're basically making your own personal "cloud in a box". :)
Thank you for responding....i can relax now 🤙

Back