BYO magazine worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneypierce

Reaction score
IS BYO magazine worth it? Or is there another mag out there that is more beneficial?? Looking to get a new magazine subscription, and this seem's to fit the bill :mug:

I just started my subscription. I like the first issue, the second was OK, we'll see about the third ;)

All in all, I think it was worth the $20 as you can always learn something new or find a new recipe.

I would honestly go for Zymurgy over BYO. Depends what you like I guess, but along with my Zymurgy subscription I get the brewpub benefits card which gets me happy hour prices at all times at brewpubs across the nation. It's definitely paid for itself over the past year.

Zymurgy has often more recipes but BYO is often more technical articles and discussions.

BYO isn't bad. They just ran a big New Belgium spread which finally gave definitive clone recipes from the brewery itself. Those have been hard to come by for a long time. Every once in awhile they come up with something good that makes it worth it. If you split the subscription with someone when they do the 2-for-1, it's definitely worth it.

I would honestly go for Zymurgy over BYO. Depends what you like I guess, but along with my Zymurgy subscription I get the brewpub benefits card which gets me happy hour prices at all times at brewpubs across the nation. It's definitely paid for itself over the past year.

Zymurgy has often more recipes but BYO is often more technical articles and discussions.

Just got my first issue of BYO a couple of days ago. Had Zymurgy for 2 years, so take my advice with that in mind, but if you pick one go for Zymurgy. It is really geared to the homebrewer and covers basic to adv topics. The support of AHA is a great side benifit, and if you have any where that honors the brewpub benifit (a lot will give discounts even if they aren't listed, I always aks) it will pay for your self.

The one issue of BYO I've read seems to be a little more geared to the advanced brewer. Great for where I am now, but think it would have been over my head 2 years ago. But as I said, that is only one issue, so may not be a good sample.

BYO is okay. I find it somewhat 'meh' in places, and in others it's good.

I think it's worth exactly the BO-GO half price I paid for it. I'm not sure I'll renew when it comes time.

B

In my opinion, Internet (HBT) > Zymurgy > BYO, but that's just me. I only get Zymurgy because it is included in the homebrewers association membership.

My gal renews my subscriptions to All About Beer and Draft. All About Beer runs a feature on homebrewing each issue but otherwise both are just beer centric. I get all of my brewing knowledge from the interwebz. I like getting some beer info and reviews without it being the BA/ratebeer reviews that make you believe a beer must be 500 IBUs and 15% ABV or extremely sour to be palatable.

Back