BYO Magazine 1997 - Real Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayBeer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the BYO magazine's October 1997 recipe for "Real Root Beer"?

I have it in the secondary, about ready to bottle. I took a gravity reading today and tasted it. I will be bottling in 2 days, and it tastes similar to root beer, however not as sweet as I imagined it would be. Will this change during bottle conditioning?

If anyone has tried this recipe, how did it turn out, and what would you change for your next attempt?

Has anyone tried the BYO magazine's October 1997 recipe for "Real Root Beer"?

I have it in the secondary, about ready to bottle. I took a gravity reading today and tasted it. I will be bottling in 2 days, and it tastes similar to root beer, however not as sweet as I imagined it would be. Will this change during bottle conditioning?

If anyone has tried this recipe, how did it turn out, and what would you change for your next attempt?

Do you have a link to the recipe?

If it's fermenting than it should have little to no sweetness depending on the fermentables used. What was your reading at?

When I make homemade ginger ale (fermented for ~4 weeks) it finishes around 1.002. The main source of fermentable sugar is a combination of table sugar and corn sugar.

I bottled it today. Ended up with an FG of 1.016, and a ABV of about 3.94%. I primed with 7/8 cup of Corn Sugar, and 1/2 cup of a very strong spice tea.

Latest posts

Back