BYO Brewing Safety Article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing up on a farm, I understand how inhaling grain dust is not good but how many home brewers actually wear a mask when milling grain?

Nobody I know uses one - and none of the homebrew stores around me have one hanging by their mills.
I have a respirator and a bunch of different cartridges for different needs, but I've never thought to use it while milling - mostly because my setup doesn't raise much dust (though I suppose it only takes a tiny bit if one is susceptible to an infection). So, can't argue the point.

What I can argue is the keg thing. Are there kegs that can launch lids under pressure? Because that simply can't happen with cornelius style kegs. Maybe he meant "spears"...

Cheers!

I'm a grain farmer. I've been inhaling grain dust for almost 60 years and I’m neither dead nor resperatorially impaired.

I think that articles like the one linked above exist partly because of the general pussification of our society and partly because there are too many news/information outlets that are in constant need of content.

If you're sensitive/allergic to grain dust you'll figure that out in short order. I barely notice the small amount of dust created by milling 10-12 lbs of grain. YMMV.

I'm a grain farmer. I've been inhaling grain dust for almost 60 years and I’m neither dead nor resperatorially impaired.

I think that articles like the one linked above exist partly because of the general pussification of our society and partly because there are too many news/information outlets that are in constant need of content.

If you're sensitive/allergic to grain dust you'll figure that out in short order. I barely notice the small amount of dust created by milling 10-12 lbs of grain. YMMV.

Here here

I don't have the pedigree of 60 years but I've dumped a few wheat trucks over the summers and grew up in grain country and never had any respiratory issues.

Only time I have ever worn a respirator when dealing with grain was cleaning out the corn crib and that was more for the mouse crap. It was a great day when I no longer fit in the chute to get inside.

Only time I have ever worn a respirator when dealing with grain was cleaning out the corn crib and that was more for the mouse crap. It was a great day when I no longer fit in the chute to get inside.

Pansy [emoji12]

I had to dig a seized auger motor out of a barley tank in August with a shovel with no respirator.

There's nothing more itchy than raw barley in a 120 degree tank!

Yea, respiratory mask is a bit much for a homebrewer. I also brew barefoot and occasionally use power tools while intoxicated.

But I agree with the comments on glass carboys. I know many here are totally comfortable with them, but I shattered one due to my own stupidity and I'm done with them. My stupidity isn't going to change at my age, so the carboy had to.

I wear a respirator mask when milling my grains, and then dumping them and mixing them for the mash. However I do that as the grain dust really aggravates my asthma badly for the next couple of days if I don't wear a mask.

I wear one. Definitely allergic. If I don’t wear one the next 12-18 hours aren’t that fun. Took me a little while to figure it out but glad I did.

i usually mill my grain for brew first thing in the morning....naked...lol, it makes the batch more personal that way!

edit: "es reibt die Lotion auf der Haut"

This guy just seems accident-prone. Plus maybe an idiot. I don't think you have to be very smart to not want to climb a ladder with boiling liquid.

There's no shame in a bit of awareness and prevention, if one chooses to take heed. If not, move along.

There's also pride in the knowledge acquired through decades of experience in the real world, as opposed to the smug self assuredness of those who simply parrot stuff gleaned from the Interwebs.

Some of these are common sense.

Some people really are lackadaisical about.

I've seen people use propane indoors. I don't care how good you think your ventilation is. That's a BAD PLAN.

Pressurized containers are not to be trifled with. I can't think of an easy way to pop open a corney lid while it's under pressure. But unscrewing a post sure could be done. And that's got lethal potential. Bottle bombs are in the same realm. As do people mucking about with PRVs and/or spunding valves without being aware of what they're doing.

There's a video floating around now (and many others like it) of people taking off (or breaking off) valves on pressurized commercial tanks. Hardware shoots like a rocket and beer fire hydrant behind it.

I've made a chest infection a LOT worse with grain dust.

Pulling a corny post under pressure has zero chance of being a lethal event.
There are a gazillion restaurants running myriads of gas ranges without killing kitchen staff...

Cheers

Pulling a corny post under pressure has zero chance of being a lethal event.
There are a gazillion restaurants running myriads of gas ranges without killing kitchen staff...

Cheers
A $14,000 commercial stove using NG and a $100 hardware/camping store turkey frier using convenience store propane are different monsters. And the former is regulated and subject to inspection.

And have you seen the speed at which a metal part will fly off at 15 PSI, let alone 30 PSI if someone is force carbing the fast way? Or heard the noise? Or seen the damage it'll do to the wall/floor/ceiling? I have. It's an injury risk no matter what, and if that strikes you in the wrong way, absolutely potentially lethal.

And exploding kegs have ABSOLUTELY killed people. I've read of people f***ing with keg PRVs and it makes me shudder.

Don't alter or remove PRVs. Don't rely on them. Triple check a keg is not under pressure before attempting to remove a lid or take off a post (or removing the spear, whatever the case may be). Small prudent prices to pay.

Nobody was talking about exploding kegs. Get a grip.
And, sorry, but physics does not support a corny post being a lethal projectile at anything within an order magnitude of the gas pressures used...

Cheers!

Depends on where and how it hits you. Catch you in the windpipe, temple, eye. Parts of the body are much hardier than others.

My point was contents under pressure in general. Of which exploding kegs certainly applies. And with people experimenting with spunding and pressure ferments (especially if a mechanism fails, which they do), is absolutely relevant.

Unless you're advocating that people open pressurized containers willy nilly or otherwise pay no mind to them.

Which I don't think you are.

So I don't see what your issue is.

I'm with trippr. Pressure doesn't pack much punch if it's only got a small surface to push against. In this case, the diameter of a post is about 1/3", and the resulting force is only 1 pound-force. That is, nothing really. The post would just flip off, it would not become a projectile. I'd be willing to pull a live post for science :)

Sorry, I don't really want to enter the argument, but I found a reason to use math and science and couldn't resist.

It occurs to me that a person could die, while hiding under the bed during the Zombie Apocalypse, posting on HBT about the dangers of depressurizing a corny, if a meteorite happened to vaporize that person's house at that moment.

Does anyone lie awake at night worrying about such a thing? Oh, wait...this is the Internet. Of course there are people who do.

Carry on.

I'm of the school of thought that if a small risk, even an extemely small perfect storm but still non-zero risk, of serious injury or death is present, and minor steps can be taken to mitigate that risk, they should be taken. Otherwise, risk doesn't inherently mean "don't do the thing" (every single action in life involves risk), but understand the risks and failure modes involved and make informed choices.

Risk vs reward. Cost vs benefit. Risk mitigation.

If you understand the risk of brewing barefoot and choose to do so anyway, I can't stop you (and I've done it myself). But I wouldn't let you tell someone else it's safe. And if you hurt yourself, no one to blame but yourself.

I'm with trippr. Pressure doesn't pack much punch if it's only got a small surface to push against. In this case, the diameter of a post is about 1/3", and the resulting force is only 1 pound-force. That is, nothing really. The post would just flip off, it would not become a projectile. I'd be willing to pull a live post for science :)

Sorry, I don't really want to enter the argument, but I found a reason to use math and science and couldn't resist.
This was exactly my point. I'm actually big on real safety. I don't do irrational fear mongering...

Cheers!

I'd be willing to pull a live post for science :)

Go for it. I'd like to see that.

I've watched a 1.5" TC coin dent concrete getting ejected at 15 PSI. Almost gunshot loud. As you suggest, bigger and more punch with greater force behind it, but absolutely able to cause damage if hit a person (especially somewhere more vulnerable). A post is smaller and will have less punch, but I'm skeptical it'd be that weak.

Especially if at 30 PSI while someone is shaking to force carb (or more if the keg lid has no/altered/removed/failed PRV and person isn't paying attention or otherwise thinks more better good and cranks the regulator, all of which I could see happening...) that a post will just pop off with no momentum. Even at 15 PSI. Especially if quickly released.

Of course if I'm proven wrong and a post quickly released and pops over harmlessly, I'll eat crow, shut up, and continue depressurizing before removing things.

Go for it. I'd like to see that.

I've watched a 1.5" TC coin dent concrete getting ejected at 15 PSI. Almost gunshot loud. As you suggest, bigger and more punch with greater force behind it, but absolutely able to cause damage if hit a person (especially somewhere more vulnerable). A post is smaller and will have less punch, but I'm skeptical it'd be that weak.

Especially if at 30 PSI while someone is shaking to force carb (or more if the keg lid has no/altered/removed/failed PRV and person isn't paying attention or otherwise thinks more better good and cranks the regulator, all of which I could see happening...) that a post will just pop off with no momentum. Even at 15 PSI. Especially if quickly released.

Of course if I'm proven wrong and a post quickly released and pops over harmlessly, I'll eat crow, shut up, and continue depressurizing before removing things.

I'll do it this coming weekend and post. I'll get video, which of course is compelling. I'm interested myself, should be a good experiment.

Again, nobody is advocating reckless behavior. But physics will not be influenced by hyperbole.
Save the admonitions for actual risk...

Cheers!

Man, at 51 years old I now really feel like I'm living on the wild side. I brew in flipflops (easy to clean) and usually my pajamas (thin plaid flannel in Seahawks colors, brings me luck). The only injury I've sustained while brewing, other than broken fingernails from prying stuck things apart, is some lovely burn scars on my boob and belly from a loose hose clamp. And that was well over 2 years ago when I first started using a pump. Common sense is, well, common. Some have it, some don't.

The only thing I would add is, don't brew drunk. Or do. My last two brews I woke up the next morning to perfectly clean and put-away equipment, and don't remember getting it that way. Drinking started about halfway through the boil.

I'm of the school of thought that if a small risk, even an extemely small perfect storm but still non-zero risk, of serious injury or death is present, and minor steps can be taken to mitigate that risk, they should be taken.

Like not drinking any alcohol (homemade or not), right? ;)

I'm just going to start filling out a full risk assessment analysis before every time I brew. Then I will have my wife sign off on acceptable risks.

Back