By golly, I did it...maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmellthat

Reaction score
Well just about an hour ago I finished my first batch of beer, and well...I think I did everything right. Bought a recipe kit from Midwest, followed the directions, tried not to spazz out and worry too much, added the yeast, and closed the fermenter. I guess what I am trying to ask is...well, is there any signs I should look for that I screwed something up, or is it a basic wait and see? Not that I want anything to go wrong mind you, for I need the beer to bribe my boss a bit, but you know. Any warning signs or anything?

Just relax and forget about it for at least two weeks. It may take 24-72 hours to see any visible signs of fermentation, and you should leave the beer alone to do it's thing.

Odds are you did everything fine and the yeasts are just starting their job of turning your wort into beer!

As long as you think you did everything right, you're in good shape. Just think of how many think they made several errors and still make great beer!

Trust the yeast to know its job. Fermentation can be ugly and sometimes messy. It doesn't mean a thing no matter what it looks like or even tastes until it is finished, bottled, and aged.

Relax and start preparing for bottling. Not that its complicated, but start researching what you want to do as far as volumes, assuming you aren't using a pre determined amount of sugar, and keep stocking up on empty bottles. It'll be great. Welcome to the addiction.

Thanks guys, do appreciate it. Just the whole waiting process is new to me, but I think this brewing bug bit me, so I can understand the whole addiction thing to this...not that having too much beer is a bad thing. Iron_city, I am already am working on that bottle thing, I think I can subject myself to drinking six packs for the sole purpose of stocking up on bottles.

I find the waiting part of brewing to be therapeutic. Sometimes I have nothing to do or think too much which doesn't help my anxiety.( don't take prescription medication for it)

It's nice to just sit and wait and be aware of what you are doing, even when you're doing nothing.

Actually the waiting isn't the issue for me, with a 40 hour work week plus the world cup, the wait is a cakewalk, the finished product however; now that is the issue. Seeing how it turns out is the part that makes me nervous...but can't hurry it so might as well enjoy it.

Edit: Sorry if this doesn't make sense, been a looooong work week, so my ability to make a complete and proper sentence is worse than usual.

@Iron_city: Tis for the greater good, it saves me money to buy new bottles...and I get to research how to possibly brew my next batch, yes brew...I'll stick with that one.

@vekta, the waiting is awesome. I am only on my third batch and as crazy as it sounds, I have spend much time in the "fermentation room" just sitting there watching and listening to the bubbles in the airlock. It is kind of a zen-like water feature calming thing for me.

usmellthat, good luck on your first brew; what is it?

I'm sure you did fine. All there is to do is make some food for the yeast and safely put them in there to start eating. It's much harder to screw it up than it is to get it right.

That said, there are numerous things you can do to improve your process as you progress. But they are minor tweaks for the most part, and you will likely find your first batch turned put pretty good.

@SpaceportBP I decided to try an Irish red ale, never really had a good example of one before, it is something different, so I figured why not.

Just woke up, checked on it, and the bubbles have starting...so looks like all is well, the yeast is alive and doing its thing.

Back