buzzed while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
So this is pretty funny I hope. I had a few friends over to make up a batch of oatmeal stout last night. All was fun and games, pizza and beer, good times, the boil went smooth, pitched the yeast around midnight and woke up to the beginning of fermentation.
What is the trouble you ask?
Heh, maybe a few beers too many (or adjuncts ;) ) low and behold there is 1 oz of Kent Goldings sitting on the top of the microwave!

Crap, the pizza showed up with 15 min left in the boil and I forgot my finishing hops!!
-idiot-
I was thinking that I would just dry-hop it with that oz, what do you think?
thanks
-ander
*Edit, after trying to figure out how the hell this happened a new light is shined on the situation, not such an idiot after all (at least less than before). Let me explain, one of the LHBS here are kind of jerks but close to my house, they sell you crap you don't need. They only sell hops by the whole oz no halfs, they round up and take your money, jerks. Anyway, my bittering hops were only 1.5 oz so there was .5 oz left in the bag, sitting next to the goldings. The left over chinooks got thrown in with 10 min left instead.
lesson learned, well worth the drive to the good shop

Noob! No seriously, this is why I don't have any beer until the boil is rolling. Even if I'm doing a 90min boil, I still won't be buzzed while brewing...

dry hop it. it is a stout after all, and should have a healthy nose!

BTW, I am truly biased as just about every beer I brew that is not destined for competition gets dry hopped.

<<<<<<<<<<<self described hop-snob!

ha funny. I did the same while brewing once....buddies showed up etc etc and forgot "ALL" my hop additions. The next day I tossed'em all in the actively fermenting wort and believe it or not, a really nice well hopped brew was made. Came out so good I have often thot about repeating the process but can't bring myself to do it

Bellybuster said:
ha funny. I did the same while brewing once....buddies showed up etc etc and forgot "ALL" my hop additions. The next day I tossed'em all in the actively fermenting wort and believe it or not, a really nice well hopped brew was made. Came out so good I have often thot about repeating the process but can't bring myself to do it

LMAO over here in the Frozen North!!!:tank:

hehe been there but I can't help but drink a lot while brewing. Hey we all need a little inspiration after all

I like to have one after I dough-in but I don't usually have more than 2 (and I normally have sessions beers at that). I don't like handling large quantities of boiling (or near boiling) liquids without my full balance and mental capacity. :)

If it's after about 10am and I'm brewing, I have a beer working. However, I keep it down to a couple until we are well into the boil. The single greatest reason any experienced brewer makes a mistake is by getting blitzed during the process. :mug:

TL

i'm with edwort on this one, i don't crack open a beverage until the flame is out and i'm in the home stetch. i've made some sorry errors cooking while a little toasted, i don't want to risk it when i'm doing something far more important like making beer.

bottling, however, is different. i defy any brewer not to crack open a cold one when facing filling 50+ bottles!

I set up a little folding "tv" tray in the carport next to my brew pot. I have all my ingredients pretty much in order. Hops, finishing moss, yeast. I have never forgot to add anything, yet. It is also a good place to put my beer, a box of kitchen matches, scissors and a pair of oven mitts.

I generally don't plan to get drunk during a brew but ended up doing just that the last couple of batches(and yesterday).Company shows up,beer gets flowing and before long we're screwing up:boil over,late flameout,screwed up racking,big water mess and not cleaning up right away.So i guess partying and brewing aren't always compatible.
Cheers:mug:

cd2448 said:
bottling, however, is different. i defy any brewer not to crack open a cold one when facing filling 50+ bottles!

hahahaha:mug: :tank:

that seems equally as dangerous...getting the bottling wand into the bottle after one too many beers...:drunk:

HaHaHa. this sounds like my last weekend brewing project. I had some friends over, one wanted to learn how to make beer, we had a bunch to get us going. Fortunately it was extracts and it wasn’t a complicated recipe. no screw ups that I can tell. But we all had a good time and that was to most important part.:tank:

Shee-yoot, pilgrims! Why do you think:
A: I write EVERYTHING down (times, do this/that, etc.) before I start Brewing Under the Influence! (Hail, almost forgot to put the malt in one time! Thank goo-ness for a buddy!)
B: I bought the BAC detector. Got curious just how pissed I get when I'm brewing. "Yup, legally BUI!":cross: :drunk:

If I brew early I don't have any beers. If its late I may crack one while boiling.
However as for the stout, I don't often use any finishing hops in a stout. I prefer to let the roast, coffee, and chocolate flavors dominate and have the hops balance the bitterness. So I wouldn't worry about the hops.
Craig

Bruscar said:
Shee-yoot, pilgrims! Why do you think:
A: I write EVERYTHING down (times, do this/that, etc.) before I start Brewing Under the Influence! (Hail, almost forgot to put the malt in one time! Thank goo-ness for a buddy!)

That's exactly what I do. I have a timer that allows me to set several alarms. I set them for the hop additions and flameout. Then when we're sittin' around drinking and brewing we don't forget the important stuff. For me though, it isn't usually because I've had too much to drink, it is because we're are too busy chatting. I like to drink session beers while I brew, but occasionally I'll have a few APAs or IPAs.

I've drank a few beers during all my brews. That is, I drank beer once while brewing. ;)

I'll have to try that no finishing hops on a stout technique. I used finishing hops on this one cause the box told me to.

My session last Saturday went south like that - although at this point I have an active airlock and the kitchen was suprisingly clean the next morning - hoping for the best. I had everything prepped and laid out ahead of time - good thing too cause me and my bud started doing iced vodka shots during the Green Bay / Seattle game (it was snowing in GB and we had to pay tribute you know) which happened to be during the mash. DOH! I wasn't sure I had pitched until the airlock started bubbling. Good thing this obsession has helped me develop adequate patience.

Imbibed beers. The secret ingredient.

Actually, I typically wait until the boil before I quaff. A guy doesn't typically get that snapped in an hour so the finish goes well.

I am glad to hear all the support, after all how can you "relax, have a homebrew" if you aren't having a few while at the brew pot.

how can you relax if you don't have more than ONE homebrew? I just try to make real detailed instructions before I start.

I enjoy drinking homebrew when I'm brewing, but I won't get to the "buzz" point until I'm done. It's not worth screwing up a whole batch or, even worse, hurting myself just so that I can have an extra beer or two during the brew.

I like to joke around, drink beer, and even to tie one on now and then. I find little humor, though, in the stories I've heard about guys forgetting hops, forgetting yeast, dumping in too much coriander, messing up sanitation, scalding themselves, leaving on burners while trying to chill wort, breaking carboys, and making countless other minor and major mistakes because they drank too much while brewing

TL

"I like to joke around, drink beer, and even to tie one on now and then. I find little humor, though, in the stories I've heard about guys forgetting hops, forgetting yeast, dumping in too much coriander, messing up sanitation, scalding themselves, leaving on burners while trying to chill wort, breaking carboys, and making countless other minor and major mistakes because they drank too much while brewing"

Ditto..:)

100000 BTU burner and 210 degree boiling beer is a recipe for disaster..forgetting a hop addition is just not being prepped..so someone sober could do this as well..but accidents will happen, and more likely if drinking..:tank:

If I do an afternoon or night brew it is a requirment to have a homebrew for luck..I wait until close to finishing boil.

Jay

i'm usually so busy during brewing anymore (cleaning up after myself, taking measurements, tweaking recipe, etc.) that i don't have time to drink more than two until i'm done. it works out, though, cuz clean-up at the end is not so much of a hassle and i can really enjoy a few after a good day of brewing :mug:

Just finished brewing a nut brown ale...Went PERFECT....Also had a few Dead Guy Ale home brews in the process.... It just feels "Right" to have a few beers while cooking up some more... I wouldnt get trashed brewing, but a few I think is Ok......

splat said:
Just finished brewing a nut brown ale...Went PERFECT....Also had a few Dead Guy Ale home brews in the process.... It just feels "Right" to have a few beers while cooking up some more... I wouldnt get trashed brewing, but a few I think is Ok......

I have thought of responding to this thread for the last couple of days.

I see a recurring theme here.

People I respect from this site tend to say have a few beers, but. keep safety in mind and don't over due it.

Others??? they tend to not be concerned about safety, rather testosterone and image.

I'm probably the odd- ball here. I don't drink until the yeast is pitched. It's a lot of time and work, so for me it's not worth missing one detail that can result in a less-than perfect brew.

And here's one that will shock and awe- by the time my brew session is done, my senses are tired of malt and hops, so I relax with a nice big Cab or Shiraz while I calculate my effeciency!

One my most recent (and only second brew) i drank about a 12 pack of longhammer IPAs by the time i was ready to pitch the yeast. I had to take about 4 hydrometer readings because i kept forgetting what it was. I will never drink that much while brewing again.

I also mess to many things up when I drink and brew. So hard to do when the football game is on and you are feeling good. My last time I did that I woke up with my starter on the table next to my tube of yeast and I forgot how I got to bed, Oh **** I woke up and had to pitch my yeast.

krispy d said:
dry hop it. it is a stout after all, and should have a healthy nose!

BTW, I am truly biased as just about every beer I brew that is not destined for competition gets dry hopped.

<<<<<<<<<<<self described hop-snob!

+1 on this. Dry hop that bad boy. I also agree with Edwort. I don't drink at all while brewing. When I'm done and have my clean up complete I crack a couple to congratulate a job well done though.:mug:

Back