Buying new vs used kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
I am putting together my keezer and at the point of ordering 2-3 kegs through kegconnection. The used ball lock kegs are $59.99 each whereas the new Italian kegs can be had for $88.95 per keg if I order them as part of a regulator kit(which I am).

Is it worth it to spend the extra $29 per keg to buy new or will I still be fine with the used kegs? I like the idea of new kegs as I assume I can expect less issues with them?

WWYD?

Save the $$ and buy the used ones. I have 9 used kegs and all work great with good care. Or use the cash you save to buy an extra used keg. Having extra kegs to keep beer in the pipeline ready to go is nice.

If keg is in good condition there is no difference between new and used one (except shiny look).
Just be sure to change o-rings if you choose used keg.

I have 8 kegs all used. Generally anything that goes wrong can be fixed for less than $10...diptubes, poppits, orings, posts are all relatively cheap.

Thanks guys.. I'll go ahead and order the used ones.. actually I'm going to order 3 used ones since it is the same price as 2 new ones.. My keezer is only going to be 5.0 cu ft so it'll only hold 2 5-gal kegs until I build a collar but having the 3rd one will be good for after I have the collar built.

Do you guys automatically replace the orings as soon as you receive the keg just to be safe?

Thanks guys.. I'll go ahead and order the used ones.. actually I'm going to order 3 used ones since it is the same price as 2 new ones.. My keezer is only going to be 5.0 cu ft so it'll only hold 2 5-gal kegs until I build a collar but having the 3rd one will be good for after I have the collar built.

Do you guys automatically replace the orings as soon as you receive the keg just to be safe?

Keg connection kegs (usually) come with new orings as well as an extra set, so you should be good to go with what you get from them

I have 6-8 used, and bought myself 4 new italian ones for xmas. 2x3 gallon and 2x5 gallon. The new ones are really, really nice. If the used ones are going to cost you 60, and the new ones are only 89 . . .. .and the money is not a huge issue - I would get the new ones. It is one thing if you are getting used ones for 30-40, and the new are over $100. With the price difference you are talking, I gotta say, I love my new kegs and am actually thinking about getting a couple more.

Been using a used 5 gallon Pepsi keg for years without having had to replace the rubber yet.

Don't know why everyone is in love with ball locks, you can get the pin locks from kegconnection even cheaper. And you can't mix up the gas and liquid hookups....

60 bucks for a used ball lock seems a bit steep, does that include shipping?

Midwest has been running specials on used kegs...not sure if they are still going. Most recent (December) they offered a 50% off special so I bought two more (BOGO). You have to sign up on their website (Free) and they will email you the coupon codes when those deals are offered.

If you are not in a rush, wait for a sale.

I have one new keg connection...it's sweet looking and will probably get used if I ever travel with my beer. The rest are all used and seem fine. O-rings were easy to replace.

ThatGeekGuy said:
Don't know why everyone is in love with ball locks, you can get the pin locks from kegconnection even cheaper. And you can't mix up the gas and liquid hookups....

I think most people favor ball locks due to the smaller diameter. I know I did.

Most people seem to pick one and stick with it. Most kegging kits I have seen are ball lock. Though it is not very difficult to buy a set of pinlock QD's and swap them out.

Do you guys automatically replace the o-rings as soon as you receive the keg just to be safe?

Not if a keg is sold as re-built, but otherwise, yes.

Why ball-locks vs pin-locks? Bad experiences with pin-locks when I used to run concert concessions. Too easy to not get the connector locked and get sprayed when it pops off. A ball-lock opens the poppet after you hit the point of engagement.

Back