Buying New Brewpot - Basic or Fully Loaded???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricworry

Reaction score
I have been doing a fair amount of research and price checking and I can't decide if I should buy a basic 15 gallon pot (no fittings, spigot, thermometer) and potentially add this stuff later or get one that has all of these features already included.

It seems like I will ultimately spend the same amount of money if I convert the basic one but I am also not sure if I need one with a spigot and thermometer right now.

FYI, I have found a basic 15 gallon stainless steel pot for around $120-130 where as the the one with a spigot and thermomter (weldless fittings) is around $220-230.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

I would buy something totally basic you can easily modify. While certain amenities would be a luxury, I don't even have a valve on my kettle and haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. I may later, but I'm glad I didn't drop the big money on a fancy kettle to begin with.

I'm cheap so I went with a 62qt Bayou Classic and added some weldless stuff from bargainfittings.com. If I had the money, I'd have went with one that had the welded ports most like.

There's no need for Blingmanns, although they're sure sexyness.

I guess we all have our own priorities. For me having a ball valve, sight glass, thermowell, and thermometer on all of my kettles from the hot liquor tank to the boil kettle is not a luxury, but rather a necessity. Without the ball valves my pumps would be useless. Also without a thermowell and thermometer how could I expect to maintain consistent temps in my mash and hot liquor tank? The ball valve on the boil kettle is needed for running off into the fermenter without splashing and introducing any outside oxygen to the wort.

My kettles came with my sculpture from more beer, but they sell just the kettles with any option you want for about 200-250 dollars.

For me, 13 gallon aluminum for ~$40.00, ball valve and sight glass kits from bargainfittings ~$30.00 and I am a happy camper. I know it is aluminum but I could not pass up on the cost!

Go with the basic and then if you feel the need you can always modify later, who knows, you may be happy with just the unmodified kettle!

Just my thoughts, good luck!

Latest posts

Back