Buying milled grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clskinsfan

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing my first all grain batch this weekend. I do not have a grain mill. I have read some posts which discuss how inefficient milled grains from HBS are. I was wondering if there is a way to crush the grains without a mill to make them more efficient?

i always buy store milled grain. but i go to a store that mills it well, you could be less lucky

I always buy milled grain from my LHBS. I could probably do it better if I got a good grain mill and worked with it. You can't beat the convience if they give you a good (or decent) grind.

I think a few people may have had bad experiences - but for the other 95% of us, our LHBS does just fine.

I bought my own mill not because of the crush, but because I wanted to save some time waiting around the homebrew store when I could be at home drinkin a beer.

What about online stores? Which ones should we avoid or which would you recommend for given a good crush?

Typically, I buy from my LBHS and mill grains twice with their mill, just for peace of mind. If i get pre-milled grains (just 2-row), I'll mill it once myself with their mill.

FWIW...

I know it's best to go to my LHBS, but unfotunately, it's not all that local. It's an 80 mile round trip for me, plus they are organic (santa cruz..) so they charge more. So higher prices with gas for 80 miles... I think I'll look online, if anyone has suggestions.

Well, I just brewed my 8th batch of beer. Three from LHBS crushed grains, two from online vendor crushed grains, and the last three from my own crush after getting a barley crusher.

My efficiency with all three LHBS grains and my self-crushed grains was between 70%-72% on every batch. The two batches from online grains were 57% and 60%. The 60% was an Imperial Stout kit from MoreBeer, and the 57% was a Pale Ale kit from Northern Brewer. The Northern Brewer grains in particular looked to be barely crushed.

As I said, I bought a Barley Crusher so that I can buy grains to keep on hand and crush as needed. I'd also be happy with having my LHBS crush them (if they carried even half of what I need that is). But no way would I trust any online vendor to give me a decent crush. 0-2 is enough for me.

Sorry to steal a tiny bit of this post. How long do you guys let the milled grains sit before using. Thanks Charlie
Mine sit for about 1 min before mashing in with them, I just mill right into my mash tun right before dough in. But if you have them crushed ahead of time, obviously the sooner the better, but you will be alright for a couple of months.
Well, I just brewed my 8th batch of beer. Three from LHBS crushed grains, two from online vendor crushed grains, and the last three from my own crush after getting a barley crusher.

My efficiency with all three LHBS grains and my self-crushed grains was between 70%-72% on every batch. The two batches from online grains were 57% and 60%. The 60% was an Imperial Stout kit from MoreBeer, and the 57% was a Pale Ale kit from Northern Brewer. The Northern Brewer grains in particular looked to be barely crushed.

As I said, I bought a Barley Crusher so that I can buy grains to keep on hand and crush as needed. I'd also be happy with having my LHBS crush them (if they carried even half of what I need that is). But no way would I trust any online vendor to give me a decent crush. 0-2 is enough for me.
I also got like 56% from Northern Brewer but consistently get in the 70s with my own crush. I was always happy with Francie's crush too, but like you said she never has what I need. Are you coming to her shop on November 1st for teach a friend to homebrew day?

In my opinion, low efficiency is just fine (within reason, of course). It's really predictable efficiency that's important.

Are you coming to her shop on November 1st for teach a friend to homebrew day?

I dunno. I hadn't thought about it. Maybe...

In my opinion, low efficiency is just fine (within reason, of course). It's really predictable efficiency that's important.

That's a pretty good point, and another reason to invest in your own mill. Expecting to get 70% and unexpectedly getting 80% would be just about as bad as unexpectedly getting 60%. Both would result in something different than you planned.

I have had 3 orders crushed by Austin Homebrew. The first wasn't good, but they IMMEDIATELY fixed the problem and sent another bill out. It was great. The third was great as well. Not only that, but they'll add incremental weights to your grainbill. You don't have to buy by the pound. It's a little more expensive, but being able to open the bag and dump it in without worrying about measuring is pretty nice. I haven't used anyone else, mostly because I don't have to...and their shipping is a flat $6.99. Pretty good I'd say.

Mine sit for about 1 min before mashing in with them, I just mill right into my mash tun right before dough in. But if you have them crushed ahead of time, obviously the sooner the better, but you will be alright for a couple of months.

A couple of months!! That's good to know. Thanks

So I have seen a couple of you say AHB has a bad grind and some say its very good. Can someone try describe what a "good" grind should look like.

Back