Buying Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I was looking around Feshops website and realized how much cheaper these hops were compared to other places. I figure, I have a fridge and access to equipment to vacuum seal bags, so why not buy in bulk?

I have a couple questions though:

1. Freshops sells whole hops. Are these the same as, in the amounts needed, "leaf hops"? (i.e. you don't need more whole hops as compared to leaf hops)
2. If I can package, purge with CO2, and vacuum most of the air out, stick them in something that blocks light and put them in the fridge, they will keep for a while, right?
3. Even with the higher shipping cost, Freshops beats the price at AHS, am I missing something?

Not sure on leaf vs. fresh, but I have heard nothing but good things about that site. They will last for up to a year in FREEZER--not fridge. Especially if you have a food saver type thing.

Beerrific said:
I was looking around Feshops website and realized how much cheaper these hops were compared to other places. I figure, I have a fridge and access to equipment to vacuum seal bags, so why not buy in bulk?

I have a couple questions though:

1. Freshops sells whole hops. Are these the same as, in the amounts needed, "leaf hops"? (i.e. you don't need more whole hops as compared to leaf hops)
2. If I can package, purge with CO2, and vacuum most of the air out, stick them in something that blocks light and put them in the fridge, they will keep for a while, right?
3. Even with the higher shipping cost, Freshops beats the price at AHS, am I missing something?

1. Whole hops and "leaf" hops should be the same thing.
2. Yes
3. AHS? Probably cheaper than your local HBS.

Yeah, I meant freezer.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheaper than Austin Hombrew Supply, much cheaper than LHBS.

Only problem I see is that they have limited varieties available. I assume they have just sold out and will have new ones in with this year's the hop crop (August?). I may wait and buy then. Plus, I can hardly tell you what I am going to do tomorrow much less what I want to brew in 4 months:cross: .

Leaf hops is a misnomer, the hops are actually the flowers. But the terms leaf & whole are also used. You are probably think of the 10% increase you have to make going from pellets/plugs to whole. [Note: magnum hops will have tiny leafs in them]

"Fresh hops" is generally reserved for hops that haven't been dried. They are only available locally and only during harvest, unless you buy a lot & airfreight them. They go weird quickly. In the last couple years, single hop ales (mainly IPAs) made from fresh hops have become popular out here.

There was a big warehouse fire last fall and some hops are in short supply.

What I do is bulk buy from Dave right after the August harvest, then freeze everything. May not have to buy much this year, my hop garden is finally looking good.

david_42 said:
"Fresh hops" is generally reserved for hops that haven't been dried. They are only available locally and only during harvest, unless you buy a lot & airfreight them. They go weird quickly. In the last couple years, single hop ales (mainly IPAs) made from fresh hops have become popular out here.

So, the company Freshops sells dried whole hop flowers that can be used in recipes that call for "leaf hops" and can replace pellets if increased by about 10%. Being that I live in Georgia, I will probably never deal with real "fresh hops." I think I've got it.

What varieties does Freshops (the company) usually offer after the harvest? I may wait until then and really stock up later this year.

Thanks!

Beerrific said:
What varieties does Freshops (the company) usually offer after the harvest? I may wait until then and really stock up later this year.

Thanks!

If you want to try new varieties freshops is the way to go. If you know what variety you want then hopsdirect sells is per lb for less than $10 roughly (of course they may or may not have the variety you want). Keep in mind you still have shipping costs, so usually when working with freshops it is better to buy more than less as it gets proportionally cheaper somewhat.

Back