Buying Hops from Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Anybody ever bought hops from Amazon? I live about 4-5 hrs from any home brew shops. I typically buy from morebeer and save up over 60 dollars worth to get free shipping. I compared prices today for some of the more popular hops that I buy (citra/mosaic) and the price per pound is actually cheaper.

Anybody tried them to know if they're fresh enough?

Semantics. I understand that amazon isnt out behind their warehouse growing hops.

Home Brew Ohio though, as a retailer on Amazon sells mosaic hops for 24 dollars per pound. On their website, its 30.

Are the hops sold from amazon just as fresh

Look up this guy on eBay.

Ted Hausotter
stores.ebay.com/Hop-Haven-Inc

$49.96 shipped priority for a pound of each whole Goldings and Cluster and pellet Fuggle. He also threw in a 5oz sample of Summit pellets.He only charges one shipping charge per order of $6.99.

On a side note anyone want 5oz of Summit pellets for the cost of shipping, I never have cared for them.

Prices for the particular hops in looking for are higher than amazon, plus shipping charges.

Prices for the particular hops in looking for are higher than amazon, plus shipping charges.
If you don't need the hops ASAP with Prime shipping, then you can order from another seller on Amazon. NY Brew Supply is slightly cheaper, and they will ship from their store.

If you buy with Prime, the store ships to Amazon for fulfillment and then Amazon ships to you. There's no way of knowing how fresh they are, as it depends on their inventory at the Amazon center. I feel like a Homebrew store will go through inventory faster, so they're more likely to be fresh.

Look up this guy on eBay.

Ted Hausotter
stores.ebay.com/Hop-Haven-Inc

$49.96 shipped priority for a pound of each whole Goldings and Cluster and pellet Fuggle. He also threw in a 5oz sample of Summit pellets.He only charges one shipping charge per order of $6.99.

On a side note anyone want 5oz of Summit pellets for the cost of shipping, I never have cared for them.

This is a dead link

I'll probably order some of the amazon hops and report back with my luck in a few weeks.

Semantics. I understand that amazon isnt out behind their warehouse growing hops.

Home Brew Ohio though, as a retailer on Amazon sells mosaic hops for 24 dollars per pound. On their website, its 30.

Are the hops sold from amazon just as fresh
What crop year are they selling? I bet it isn't the same year on Amazon as on their website.

If you're buying pounds, just go to the source and order from Yakima Valley Hops or Hops Direct. There's a shipping fee, but the per-pound price is lower and they're fresher.

I too use Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I like the 4 ounce packages. It is simpler than having a bunch of 1 ounce packages. I then vacuum bag the remainder and have some on hand for a later batch. I bought four 1 pound packages once. Since I do a lot of different styles 1 pound lasts way too long. They have a great selection and very good prices.

Back