Buying first 50 bag o' grain - please share how you store yours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm buying a 50 of two row. I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer. I was thinking about splitting into 5 pound bags using the Food Saver and storing in freezer.

Is that ok, or are there other viable methods? Just wanting to hear thoughts from those that bulk buy.

I don't have a ton of space at home. Some in a basement freezer over the fridge, and I could put some in the keezer set at 39 with the kegs.

A buddy has a chest freezer I could get some space in if it is best to freeze it all (based on my reading so far I think that is the best plan).

Thank you for your thoughts.

Cheers

I put mine in a big tupperware in the garage. No need to freeze it unless you plan on taking years to use it all.

Don't freeze un-crushed grain, put it in a couple of 5gal homer buckets with lids or the like. Keep it dry and it'll be just fine.

Don't put it in the keezer! Way too much moisture. Rubbermaid or sealed bucket in a cool basement should be perfect.

How often do you brew? A 50# sack should last 5-10 batches, depending on recipe.

I leave mine in the bag they came in, tucked under my laundry room counter to keep the cat out, and I just twist the top shut, expel as much air as possible and seal with a bit of twine twisted around and tied.

No problems over the course of ... 7 sacks? Something like that...longest one stored this way has been maybe 6 months now and zero issues, no bugs, etc.

Keep it simple :)

6675921502p

Or similar. Original grain bags in the tote, tote in the basement. I was nervous about that at first but I opened the tote when we moved this weekend and the grain smelled sooooo fresh and delicious. Kyle

I keep my 50# 2 row and a bunch of single pound specialty grains in a big rubbermaid tub with lid. Like others, no problems.

I use cat litter buckets that come with 27 pouns of litter. They will hold about 18-19 pounds of 2-row just fine, so three buckets will easily hold the entire 50 pound sack. These are heavy HDPE buckets, I just snap the lid on and store them in the basement until I'm ready to mill. The unmilled grain will keep in these just fine.

I just keep mine in a metal trash can inside of the bag it came in. The metal will discourage any critters coming and eating up my grains.

Stop by Lowe's and buy a few of their $4.00 food grade white 5 gallon buckets and a gasketed lid for each one for another $1.00. Each bucket holds exactly 25 pounds of uncrushed grain and is essentially airtight. I typically keep 300+ pounds on hand and store it like this. Works great!

I keep unopened bags in my spare room/garage thing. Opened bags go into a big Tupperware container but is still left out. Summers get really hot here but I don't have space in the house. I have only had a problem with weevils when I had some grain in there that was really old, like 3 years old. Call me gross but there wasn't too many and they got ground up and made some good beer :).

2.5 gallon ziplock bags. The heavy duty kind with the actual "zipper" 50 pound sack splits into four bags.

No need for food saver.

Yep, rubbermaid see through bins, and then individually in Gallon? ziplock bags which I pre-measure into 5lb increments. Makes it nice to grab two bags plus specialty grains and your good to go.... I have a nice bakers rack that keeps all my brew ware and ingredients on. Makes me happy seeing it fully stocked!

stop by lowe's and buy a few of their $4.00 food grade white 5 gallon buckets and a gasketed lid for each one for another $1.00. Each bucket holds exactly 25 pounds of uncrushed grain and is essentially airtight. I typically keep 300+ pounds on hand and store it like this. Works great!

+1

You can easily vacuum pack 10 pounds of grain in a single bag made from the large size roll. I order 50 pounds when I need grain. 10 pounds for the current brew and 4 ten pound bags for the shelves in the basement.

bosco

Back