buying filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
so does anyone know of a good online store to buy filters for your homebrew. i dont care to much for the yeast buildup on the bottom of the bottles and like to keep my homebrews more mobile.

volcom579 said:
so does anyone know of a good online store to buy filters for your homebrew. i dont care to much for the yeast buildup on the bottom of the bottles and like to keep my homebrews more mobile.

You can't filter, or rather shouldn't filter, bottled beer. Otherwise, your beer will not carbonate and you'll be drinking flat beer all the time. Filtering removes the yeast, and if there's no yeast to eat the carbing sugar and produce CO2, it'll be flat.

If you're going to filter beer, you'll need to keg and carbonate. Austin Homebrew, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer all sell filtering kits.

what about if i were to filter the beer using a keggin system, then force carbonate it and then bottle it from there??? that sounds pretty logical

or you could save the money and wait for your beer to clear on it's own, which will coincidentally also make it taste better(waiting). Especially if you keg. If I let it age properly after the first 2 pints my beer is as clear as any commercially produced product.... In fact there are many *good* commercial beers out there that don't filter their beer and have sediment in the bottom of a bottle.

Besides those yeasties are good for you, drink em up!

This is not filtered, just aged for a few weeks in the cold kegerator:

4833-P1110533.JPG

volcom579 said:
what about if i were to filter the beer using a keggin system, then force carbonate it and then bottle it from there??? that sounds pretty logical
Yes, if you want to transport bottles without fear of the sediment clouding your beer, this is your best option. You may not even need to filter it if you are able to get very clear beer pouring out of your keg.

volcom579 said:

That is logical, but like everyone mentioned, if you're kegging you'll get a clearer beer anyways with a little time and cold. Although I have heard some good reviews about filtering.

Back