Buying a used corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLScar

Reaction score
First, I want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to these forums. I have not posted much but I have read and learned a ton.

I am going to look at some Homebrew supplies somebody has for sale on Friday. In addition to a chest freezer fermentation chamber, he had a used corny keg for sale. Is there anything I should be looking for prior to purchasing the corny?

Any help is appreciated?

Two things - first, that it seals, and then that all the parts are there. Ask the seller to put it under pressure. You could take a small spray bottle with a mixture of dish detergent and water and spray the ring where the lid meets the keg, as well as the posts and pressure relief valve to check for leaks. You'll either hear the gas escaping and/or see bubbles develop if there are leaks. Then release the pressure and pull the lid to be sure both dip tubes are in place. I recently purchased four corny's and found a dip tube missing after they were delivered. You can find the replacement parts and seals if needed, but if you can start with a keg in good condition, you can use it sooner.

Enjoy!

Two things - first, that it seals, and then that all the parts are there. Ask the seller to put it under pressure. You could take a small spray bottle with a mixture of dish detergent and water and spray the ring where the lid meets the keg, as well as the posts and pressure relief valve to check for leaks. You'll either hear the gas escaping and/or see bubbles develop if there are leaks. Then release the pressure and pull the lid to be sure both dip tubes are in place. I recently purchased four corny's and found a dip tube missing after they were delivered. You can find the replacement parts and seals if needed, but if you can start with a keg in good condition, you can use it sooner.

Enjoy!

Spot on.^^^

Make sure kegs are complete and hold pressure. Most used I see for sale are already under pressure and you can pull the relieve valve to make sure. I hate dented kegs but im sure you can get a cheaper deal if you don't mind the appearance factor. I've also seen people buff old scratched kegs to a polished shine. Prob do that with the 4 I have sometime this winter.

Cheers!

O-ring sets are cheap, so if you have a leak from the lid, post, or a poppet, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's leaking anywhere else, it's not worth it. These things are pretty tough, though. I haven't seen too many that are trash.

But yeah, definitely make sure it has all the parts.

I am going to look at some Homebrew supplies somebody has for sale on Friday. In addition to a chest freezer fermentation chamber, he had a used corny keg for sale. Is there anything I should be looking for prior to purchasing the corny?

Any help is appreciated?

Did you buy it? How did it look?

Back