Buying a turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajarob

Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads regarding problems of every sort when buying what appears to be a good deal on burners. What are some important things to keep in mind? My pot is 14.5" in diameter. It's an 8 gal aluminum pot. For now I don't have any plans to upgrade. I only want to do full boils of 5 gallons. The LP store sells a very basic burner with no legs that looks to hold almost any size for $25. Should I be considering regulators and PSI?

I received a 7.5gallon fryer/burner combo from a family member. The only thing to really note is to boil water in it for an hour prior to doing anything with wort. This puts an oxidized layer on the pot which is a necessity. Other than that, you should be good to go with a pot and burner with nothing else needed. `

I've read quite a few threads regarding problems of every sort when buying what appears to be a good deal on burners. What are some important things to keep in mind? My pot is 14.5" in diameter. It's an 8 gal aluminum pot. For now I don't have any plans to upgrade. I only want to do full boils of 5 gallons. The LP store sells a very basic burner with no legs that looks to hold almost any size for $25. Should I be considering regulators and PSI?

If you have a Lowes near you, take a look at their pricing for a Masterbuilt turkey fryer kit. It comes with the fryer pot, burner on a stand, and the regulator. You can always find a use for another pot at that price.

Yeah, Lowes had the whole setup very cheap according to my buddy. I saw them a few weeks ago (burner and pot) for $40. He said they had a clearance sale and they were $25. Another neighbor said they sold out before he could get one.

Bass pro shop online has a 30qt I believe pot and burner with stand for around 36 + Shipping.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the link my brother used to buy his and mine and they are no longer listed or are out of stock. Sorry!

At Lowes for $40 on clearance:

Masterbuilt 30-Quart Propane Turkey FryerItem #: 48651 | Model #: 20020107

30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer

•30-quart aluminum turkey pot with lid
•Electronic timer with automatic shut-off
•Stainless steel thermometer
•Turkey hanger hook
•Wide-handle lifting hook

I've used it once for my first brew and it worked petty good. I had to make some adjustments to get a nice blue flame.

I liked the thermometer with a clip, too. That was the last thing I needed to get brewing.

Some reviewers complained about the safety timer, but I like it. It kept me from wandering off and possibly getting a boilover on my first attempt.

just ordered that MasterBuilt fryer from home depot. it's cheaper at lowes, but i had a HD gift card that my step sons gave me for the purpose of getting a turkey fryer. the reviewers that complied about the safety timer complained cuz they walked away, the timer flashed and then shut off when they didn't reset the timer. those people shouldn't be allowed to use things like turkey fryers in the first place, thus the timer. it sounds like a great rig and some of the reviews were written by home brewers saying just that, it's great for brewing beer.

I just bottled my first batch, i used the turkey fryer from home depot. It worked great. The only downside I could see was that the first time I had to boil water in it for 1 hour prior to using it. But for my next batch, should be good to go.

Mickeymoose said:
I just bottled my first batch, i used the turkey fryer from home depot. It worked great. The only downside I could see was that the first time I had to boil water in it for 1 hour prior to using it. But for my next batch, should be good to go.

I had some trouble on my first attempt, but it was mostly my fault for not knowing how to adjust the flame to a nice true blue.

I settled on getting the water boiling on my electric range in the house, then moving it to the propane burner outside to add ingredients and for the final boil.

I think I have the burner dialed in now, but I think I may continue to do it that way to reduce the use of propane.

Bajarob,

Just finished my second batch with the fryer. It went great, and no conditioning of the pot saved a bunch of time. I would also sugggest a cooling bucket or something to bring the wort temp down quick, as the first one took three hours at room temp to get cool enough to pitch the yeast. This time i used a 18 gal bucket from home depot $4 filled with water and ice, cooled down in 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back