Buying a Glass Carboy? Cheap & Easy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shangrila1234

Reaction score
OK, so I bought my first glass carboy (also tossed in a air lock & stopper woo!) yesterday for 30$ and am ready to buy a bunch more so that I can start aging many batches. I know that was a relatively cheap buy considering, but I live in San Diego and am trying to research the cheapest way to buy 5 gallon glass carboys. I need about 3-5 more. Any one have any ideas on how to obtain glass carboys cheap for aging some future batches of mead and beer.

*** Please I don't want to discuss plastic ***

THANKS!!!

I have had good luck finding one gallon jugs at thrift stores for a good price and remember seeing 5 gallon carboys at thrift stores for $6.38.. that was before I started brewing....check with stores that sell the carboys full of drinking water... they are priced pretty well...I found them at my local Co-op store...

Look on craigslist CONSTANTLY. I picked up 3 for $10 each, and they are from the 60's and 70's

even tho i'm not in san diego, i agree with craigslist, i've bought all kinds of stuff for a great deal on there...

good luck!

I just search glass and narrow it down to under $30. Scan through it and you will find nice beer glasses and carboys.

I have to agree with everyone else.. Craigslist is Awsome...I have gotten a 5 gallon carboy along with some other brewing supplies, 500 beer bottles, 100 wine bottle, 3 20# CO2 tanks and one huge 5 foot CO2 tank.. and I paid NOTHING for any of it..I found all of it buying loooking in the Free Section Always look in the Free section...you can find great things in there...

I bought a 5 gal carboy filled with drinking water at my local co-op today. The water was $12 and the deposit on the glass carboy was $8. Thus, I used the water for another brew batch today.

I have to agree with everyone else.. Craigslist is Awsome...I have gotten a 5 gallon carboy along with some other brewing supplies, 500 beer bottles, 100 wine bottle, 3 20# CO2 tanks and one huge 5 foot CO2 tank.. and I paid NOTHING for any of it..I found all of it buying loooking in the Free Section Always look in the Free section...you can find great things in there...

I also suggest Craiglist, but be sure to post a "wanted" ad as well. I posted that I was looking for beer and wine making supplies and made sure to include keywords in the listing like "brew," "homebrewing" and "beermaking." I have gotten many offers, mainly from people who are moving or finished with the hobby and looking to unload the stuff for cheap.

Just this weekend I got response to my want ad; I'm getting a professionally-made keggle, six corny kegs, a large CO2 tank, six glass carboys 5, 6 and 6.5 gallons, taps, coolers and a bunch of other stuff that he didn't even list out for me... offered it all for $200. I'm in brewing heaven right now.

People also ask me to "make an offer." Always low ball.... they'll either counter or take it because they bought the stuff so long ago they don't know what it's worth.

Another potential source is your local bottled water company (Sparkletts, Culligan, etc). They sell used bottles for $10 - $15.

I also suggest Craiglist, but be sure to post a "wanted" ad as well. I posted that I was looking for beer and wine making supplies and made sure to include keywords in the listing like "brew," "homebrewing" and "beermaking." I have gotten many offers, mainly from people who are moving or finished with the hobby and looking to unload the stuff for cheap.

Thanks for the tip! I made a wanted post as soon as I read this. I also found a potential for a bunch of free, possibly food grade buckets!

I thought the company producing them down there stopped, which was why the prices on glass carboys have been skyrocketing lately

+1

That's what the guys at San Francisco Brewcraft told me, about 9 months ago. Now they carry glass carboys from Italy. I was surprised that Italy would be the next closest/cheapest supplier.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP!!!! I'm now gonna go rock out and get me some carboys co=op, craigslist, or local water company. fo sho!

Back