Buy yourself a bench capper!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell

Reaction score
I make all grain, extract whatever. I am not an expert by any stretch, but if you are starting out, brewing for years, whatever, and still using that 'winged' red capper, throw that thing out and get a Super Agata Bench Capper. I got mine on ebay for <$30 and I absolutely and pissed at myself for not getting one sooner.

Upgrades for beginners:
1. Bigger pot for full wort boils
2. Immersion chiller
3. Bench capper!!!!!!!

Yes on all accounts - but do not throw away the Wing capper as it can server as a backup if the bench capper busts during bottling.

I move pretty quickly in my hobbies so after bottling a few batches in PET I moved to glass and instantly bought both, a bench capper and a red wing capper as a backup, since some have said they busted theirs mid capping and had no backup. I don't ever want to bottle in PET again - screwing caps closed sucks and if not done with a glove on messes your skin up. Unfortunately, I need to bottle in PET today as I am out of glass bottles. Go figure lol.

The one thing I did wait long on is the immersion chiller and after getting one I felt like an ass waiting so long. It's sooo damn convenient!! No more waiting for a tub to fill, adding in ice packs, carrying the pot over and gently putting it in to avoid scratching the tub, circulating the water around the pot, waiting over an hour, then having to drain the tub and dry off the ice packs before returning them to the freezer. No way, never again!!

The 10 gallon kettle was a huge step up, but I think taking my brewing outside on to a propane burner was more substantial. I was reluctant to do it with winter and all coming but man, no more waiting over an hour to get a boil going. My Blichmann burner is insane at heating the kettle. Takes so much time off of brew day.

Rev.

Use the old dishwasher door method for bottling day, and its pretty painless honestly, just have to wait for my 18 month old pet monster to go to bed, or its a fiasco.

I first tried brewing back in the 70's and purchased an "all metal" wing capper. Had no success brewing then so quit but resumed about 3 yrs ago and dug up this old capper which I can say is far better than that plastic red capper which I've tried. I now keg about 3gal and bottle 2gal every batch and yes a good capper is well worth the investment for those that bottle.

I have a pair of bench cappers that haven't been used in over 10 years... kegs.

I like kegs, but I have an enormous thirst, got it from my dad, so bottles make me a more responsible imbiber. I like bottles too, no real reason, I just like bringing a couple to friends and sharing.

It's really a matter of what works comfortably with YOUR bottling process. A bench capper is no better than a wing capper. It's whatever works in your system. I have one but I never use it because with the way I've dialed in my process, as chronicled in my thread, a bench capper actually slows me down...I've tried, but a wing capper allows me to go to the bottle rather than bring the bottle to the capper, and with my system that's what works for me......I can't stress this enough...figure out what makes the job easier for YOU. Don't go by what folks say.... bottling is a pain but if you tailor the process to suit you, whether it's with a bench or wing capper, then the job becomes easier....

Boswell, it's great that it suits your system, but it may not work for everyone.....

I have Grandpa's old bench capper he used during Prohibition, and it's in play for every batch......it's just easier on the arthritis in my wrists than that red thing that came with my original kit...

I do a modified version of Revvy's method and a bench capper would slow me down. To each his own, but I'll be keeping my red wing capper. Bottling day is actually relaxing and a breeze thanks to Revvy! Prosit!

My system is close to Rev's, just standing up with the bucket on a fridge. The red capper works well, but would like a bench capper for: using some twist top bottles on occasion, some green bottles are a pain with the wing capper, and if I get into Belgians or wine.

It's really a matter of what works comfortably with YOUR bottling process. A bench capper is no better than a wing capper. It's whatever works in your system. I have one but I never use it because with the way I've dialed in my process, as chronicled in my thread, a bench capper actually slows me down...I've tried, but a wing capper allows me to go to the bottle rather than bring the bottle to the capper, and with my system that's what works for me......I can't stress this enough...figure out what makes the job easier for YOU. Don't go by what folks say.... bottling is a pain but if you tailor the process to suit you, whether it's with a bench or wing capper, then the job becomes easier....

Boswell, it's great that it suits your system, but it may not work for everyone.....

Ding, ding , ding...... we have a winner. Whatever works for you is best.

I agree with Revvy. I use a wing capper and I find it works great for my system. I think a bench capper would slow down the process.

I disagree that bottling is a pain. I bottle while I am brewing and find it kind of relaxing.

Hey I wasn't trying to preach! To each his own of course, its a hobby! I work/own a bar, so I only use the 16.9oz bottles that Franzis Kahner (I know that's spelled wrong, but I'm too hopped up on pain killers to search it) comes in. The wing capper just plain old doesn't work on them, the neck tapers weird. All of my bottles are anything but the typical 12oz'er just because I have access, and I like the packaging to look cool too. Plus, having one bottle pour out one pint with no sediment is sublime. Just a suggestion folks, find what works for you, but wing cappers are for dummies!!!

I agree on revvys method being kick ass. I have used it for every batch botled right from the first. I have used wing cappers and hated em. Yes they work 99% of the time. That 1% drove me bat ****. wife bought me a bench capper and It was a big jump but still hated the constant adjustment for a batch of mixed bottles.... couple of weeks ago she bought me the capper attachment for my floor corker and after figuring out exactly where to set it up in the process I really like it best of all.

No reason for me to spend money,im pretty satisfied with the red barren. I find it easiest to cap on the floor,otherwise on a table its easier for it to slip,never dumped one over but have broke some of the twist rim type bottles before.I make shure not to use those.The stubbies seem strangley easy to cap,otherwise long necks are perfect. Plus they say they are will virtually last forever,but people breaking bench cappers and needing a backup?,hmmm.

I have a metal wing capper and I don't have a problem with it. I have totally random bottles; don't you have to adjust benchcappers to the bottle you are using?

I too used Revvy's set up for bottling (along with some other suggestions) and it works very well. From the start of bottling (everything set ready to go) I am doing 5 gals in about 45 mins without rushing. The wing capper gets easier the more I use it. I have used a bench capper before and like em, but I think for my process, the wing capper works best because I can work faster now with the wing capper.

And this is why HBT is great. I want to throw my wingcapper out the window, you guys love them. Tomato tomato, potato potato. (Its hard to use that cliche when its typed.)

I only use the 16.9oz bottles that Franzis Kahner (I know that's spelled wrong

I use Franziskaner bottles as well, the same 500ml (16.9oz) one's. I had to ask you... how do you defoil them? I defoiled mine and it's always such a major PITA. I typically soak them in hot tap water to loosen the glue for about 20 minutes. Then it's an Oxyclean soak. The labels come off super quick and easy but the foil can still be a pain so I often have to put them under hot water yet again as I peel. Being Franziskaner is my favorite beer and I buy cases it's my most accessible bottle. But man, I'm thinking of getting Hacker-Pschorr cases and using those bottles so I don't have to deal with removing the foil ever again.

Rev.

...or just invest in some nice swing-top bottles....no bench capper or wing thingy required

To get the foil off, I presoak in hot water in the sink with some dishsoap, then I do everything over the door of the dishwasher (I'm sure you've read the theory), so I pack 40 or so FK bottles on the lower rack of the dishwasher, most of the labels are off from the soak. Then I just run the dishwasher on the pots/pans setting with sani-rinse setting and heated dry. All the hot water just blows the foil right off. Bottle, then clean all the foil/paper out of the dishwasher. They stay in pretty big pieces, so I'm not too worried about them ruining the dishwasher.

I love these bottles, not only is it the perfect pour, but its just different looking enough. I'd really like to get the paint off of redstripe bottles, but I'm not working THAT hard just for a cool shape.

As for swing tops, I LOVE them, when I first started years ago, I actually drank two cases of grolsch (gross!). But with my access to empties, I'm not buying bottles.

I have Grandpa's old bench capper he used during Prohibition, and it's in play for every batch......it's just easier on the arthritis in my wrists than that red thing that came with my original kit...

hah, cleaning out my grandpa's storage lockers this last week (he's been gone for six years) and I found a bench capper as well. The name "NATIONAL A" is cast on the side of it. I know his uncle used to run hooch up from Chicago during prohibition, so maybe it was used for that.

Edit: Also found an old cast iron fruit press. Thought it might be an ice cream maker when I first saw it. It needs a little cleaning up but otherwise it's in good shape.

Back