Buy you a drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am 30 years old. I have never been considered attractive by anyone's standards.

SWMBO is a doll. I have been told countless times that she is out of my league (just like all my passed SWMBO's were out of my league). I dunno what it is, I just find cute girls who happen to have the specific mental defect of them liking me. I can't explain it, it just is what it is. Now here's where it gets difficult...

I make $11 an hour and I am paying off grad school loans. If I go to a club with SWMBO and her friends, I buy her friend(s) a drink, I buy all of her drinks, and I buy mine. I'm out $60-$100. However, if she goes to clubs with her friends, guys buy all their drinks and she doesn't spend a dime.

Now, that's just the way the world works, right? But hold on.. here's where it gets weird....

SWMBO went out with her friends tonight and I didn't feel like puttering around the house, so I hopped in my car and went to my favorite brew pub. I ordered a beer, I drank it. A dude came in and was confused by the choices, so I chatted beer with him for a bit, suggested he order a house Pilsner, and he bought me a beer.

Now, being a heterosexual male, there was a seat between us at the bar. A cute girl came up, sat between us, and she bought me a shot of tequila. Then a second shot. We chatted a bit, had a few laughs, I ordered another pint, drank it, then I paid my $8 tab (plus tip) and walked out of there having had 2 shots of tequila and 3 beers... feeling good for less than ten bucks!!!

Now guys... here's the thing... I am NOT good looking. I'm not GQ. I'm not some Steve McQueen or James Dean looking guy. I'm kinda goofy looking. But when I go to the bar alone, people just come up to me and enjoy my company!!! And, when SWMBO is alone, well obviously, guys hit on her and buy her drinks as well.

I try not to be jealous of her. I trust her. She drinks for free at the bars.. and I drink for nearly free... we just can't drink together, because then we pay full price and we can't afford that.

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say.... The thing is, both of us have a lot of bills and neither of us have a lot of money. I can't afford to take her out drinking with her friends, so we go out separately. And honest to god, it's just a financial thing. I wish I got as many freebies with her as I do without her... and vice versa. It's just weird. Whenever I go out, I feel like a celebrity. I get drinks all the time and it's pretty much the norm for me. I am sort of bragging, but at the same time, I wish I could go out with SWMBO.

I am home now. I had enough. I came home. I'm sure she'll be home shortly. Am I crazy for thinking this is ok? She's younger than me by 7 years and I don't want to interfere with her fun. Hell, I have fun too. I just wish I had enough money to take her out on the town...

Being poor sucks.

On the bright side, the friend she goes drinking with has double-D's. Maybe I'll talk SWMBO into not minding too much if I motorboat them tonight....

Holy shizz, I'm druck!!!!

I've read the post but not sure what comment to make.
I don't like moving on from a thread with no replies without commenting.

So.

:mug:

Will have to do.

orfy said:
I've read the post but not sure what comment to make.
I don't like moving on from a thread with no replies without commenting.

So.

:mug:

Will have to do.

Thanks, orfy! Love ya man!!! I dunno. I feel like the luckiest guy on earth. SWMBO is the bestest. I wish I had a million to spend on her.

As it is, I never go out with her because I know we can't afford to spend the money. I go alone and get comped stuff (or folks buy me stuff). She goes alone, and guys buy her stuff (cuz she has nice knockers). We go together and we spend too much... so we just never go out much anymore.

It sucks... but I know there are worse problems to have... It puts a big smile on my face when I think about how lucky I am.... I just wish I had more than eleven bucks an hour to spend on her...

Edit to add.... And that's why I am building a brew tower, and a kegerator. I want to have 8 beers on tap so I can have people over, have something for everybody, be the hit of the party, and not have to spend a lot of money. I'm tired of having to go out alone to get chicks to buy me drinks...

Sir Humpsalot, so what you're saying is, is that your hot wife gets free drinks and has a good time, and you go out, get free drinks and have a good time, but you can't go to the bar together because then no one buys you drinks?

You wanna trade sets of problems? :D

Seriously, I know how you feel. When I was SWMBO'd, I always wanted to take her out for the best time ever. Didn't always happen, but the desire was there. There won't ever be a time when you feel like you take her out enough, or spend enough money/time on her. And that's OK! If she's a keeper, she'll understand that your old, broke ass can't take her out all the time, and she's having some fun on the cheap. Plus she does need to have her own life. I don't know what other hobbies you have besides brewing, but to her, brewing is part of you having *your* own life.

Now, about this hot friend of hers ...... :D

doesn't sound like SWMBO has a mental defect....sounds like she just recognizes a guy who's not an *******.

and the chica who bought you those shots....same deal. "there's a guy who's not gonna slip me a roofie-colada"

I hang with a group of guys who share the common bond of enjoying a good drink. On occasion, we've discussed what brought us together as a group. We've come to the conclusion that one of the defining characteristics of our "clique" is that most of us are the sort of guys that can walk into any bar, and other people want to have a drink with us (i.e., approachable, fun, good-hearted folks). Perhaps you're just one of "us."

(damn, that sounds a lot more narcissistic than I intended...oh, well...I think the message is clear)

Methinks the guy and the girl were really a couple looking for a, uh... playmate. The only question is whether he was just going to hide in the closet and watch, or if he wanted to be part of the fun... ;)

I may have stuck around if a hot chick was buying me drinks. Hell, she coulda been near ugly and I'd accept. But hot woulda probably kept there for a bit longer.

The guy-I probably would not have hung out long to out what his deal was.

'Non-threatening/approachable' is a good characteristic to have. For a guy.

For chicks, just being female sexed buys a lot drinks.

Don't feel like you owe her friends drinks. Trading paying for rounds is one thing, let her friends 'earn' their own...

Many people just are friendly with nothing much to do and like to chat, so it's easy finding generous company in a bar. Many are looking for something.

malkore said:
doesn't sound like SWMBO has a mental defect....sounds like she just recognizes a guy who's not an *******.

and the chica who bought you those shots....same deal. "there's a guy who's not gonna slip me a roofie-colada"

+1

I'm blessed with a SWMBO that is really good looking (even with Swedish standards) *and* she's smart so as far as I'm conserned, I'm "all set".

She and her girlfriends go out for a drink from time to time and they often refere to "the swarm" -the *****ebags constanty circling around them trying their best to get laid. My SWMBO and her friends actually go to gay bars just to get some peace and quiet, to enyoy a drink or two and just chill after work.

The moral of the story? Smart, beautiful chicks like interesting guys. Or...go to gay bars and you'll find the hottest chicks with their guard down:p ...

H

My SWMBO is a freak magnet. When we go out, the wierdest people want to be her friend. In fact, ALL the wierd people want to be her friend. They ignore me until I say something like, 'Hey freak! If you wanna chat her up, buy her a drink!'

I'm kinda ugly too. And a little bit ornery.

Sir Humpsalot said:
I make $11 an hour and I am paying off grad school loans.

I'm confused.... So are you not using your education? Seems like a master's degree should be a bit more financially rewarding. :confused:

Jumbo82 said:
I'm confused.... So are you not using your education? Seems like a master's degree should be a bit more financially rewarding. :confused:
Master's degrees are given out like candy these days. I'm not bashing Humpsalot, as it's quite possible he worked long and hard for his degree, I'm just saying that higher education is often simply a matter of paying tuition and turning in a few papers (my soon-to-be-earned Master's degree is pretty close to just that). Higher education doesn't pay as well as it used to, though it's come to be expected by many employers.

SWMBO just completed her Master's degree and is licensed in this state as a psychologist. After months of her dealing with stress while I barely noticed her meager paycheck, we agreed that it was best she quit the job.

I just want to have a 3+ some with my SWMBO and her Sorority sisters!:D but Hell I think I Congrat. your SWMBO on how to Get drinks for free and come home to you That is some serious appeal, Plus You dont have to be a guido to get great looking girls, I am a Fat truck driver guy...:D that is about to marry a hotty its all about the personality appeal not about the Idiots that think there king ****.

Henrik said:
My SWMBO and her friends actually go to gay bars just to get some peace and quiet, to enyoy a drink or two and just chill after work.

Been there done that. I have a bunch of female friends who like gay bars for that reason. Sometimes they invite me somewhere and we wind up at a gay bar afterwards.

At the time, I was single, unattached, and with female friends who were off doing their own thing. The best memory I have was when, all of a sudden, I feel someone else grinding on me from behind. I freaked out because I didn't know who it was and, well, I was in a gay bar... As I tried to turn around, a hand reached around and held me even tighter. I struggled a little, I was not yet in full freak out mode, but I was getting closer... As a straight guy, I really didn't want to punch a guy in the face in the middle of a gay bar, but then, I wasn't going to let myself be taken advantage of either.

I forcefully turned around, I was pretty pissed. I looked down and it was a cute short girl. She gives me some sexy look and says, "I just want to dance..." So we danced for awhile, had a nice time. It was cool.

Towards the end of the night, she tells me she had a really great time... Then she tells me that it's just too bad that I am at the bar that I'm at... because it means that I must like boys.... Well, I set the record straight on that one immediately. The rest of the night, as they say, is history.

I guess I really am pretty approachable...

My sister has a Masters and is going for a Dr. in math. She could be a engineer but no one wants to pay for a master or DR who hasnt had 20 years of experience. She is an assistant to an engineer making 14$ I am close to getting my BS and have been told once I do that I will be over qualified for many jobs. Great huh.

Most likely thats what will end up keeping me in the Air Force.

Its sad that Education has been deemed unnecessary in the wake of private schooling giving anyone who can afford tuition a degree. Who then send thousand each year into the job market with no real skills but a piece of paper that says pay me more. Really cheapens the dgrees for people who actually went to school to learn.

MikeFlynn74 said:
My sister has a Masters and is going for a Dr. in math. She could be a engineer but no one wants to pay for a master or DR who hasnt had 20 years of experience. She is an assistant to an engineer making 14$ I am close to getting my BS and have been told once I do that I will be over qualified for many jobs. Great huh.

Most likely thats what will end up keeping me in the Air Force.

Its sad that Education has been deemed unnecessary in the wake of private schooling giving anyone who can afford tuition a degree. Who then send thousand each year into the job market with no real skills but a piece of paper that says pay me more. Really cheapens the dgrees for people who actually went to school to learn.

Interesting perspective. And spot on, IMHO. I have some other thoughts on that subject, but it is past my bedtime. Cheers!

Jumbo82 said:

I took a few classes at a community college :rockin: and make double what he has listed without any loans to pay off.

Does seem a little backwards.

Joker said:
I took a few classes at a community college :rockin: and make double what he has listed without any loans to pay off.

Does seem a little backwards.

Same here pretty much. I'm very fortunate though (and grateful)...

Soulive said:
Same here pretty much. I'm very fortunate though (and grateful)...

Agreed on both counts.

Not to say it didn't take a lot of work but it wasn't anything I had to pay to learn in books.

Talking about the education thing seems like just because you went to college to learn something doesn't mean you automatically deserve more money. I went to 3 years of college (did not graduate) and started my own business with out a degree. I am not rich but do really pretty well financially. I wish I did better and I truly wish it was possible to pay the people I work with a whole lot more. Just because someone came to me looking for a job with a degree, wouldn't mean I would automatically pay them more. That person would have to produce alot and prove to me they were not only creating the income but doing more to earn it and perpetuate the success. This would have to hgappen first before a raise in pay. In business betting on the come is really dangerouse. I have been fried by that one before. Maybe Humpsalot hassen't proven to his boss that he is worth more first? Just food for thought.

Oscar.

Gregg Meyer said:
...[t]hat person would have to produce alot and prove to me they were not only creating the income but doing more to earn it and perpetuate the success. This would have to hgappen first before a raise in pay. In business betting on the come is really dangerouse. I have been fried by that one before. Maybe Humpsalot hassen't proven to his boss that he is worth more first? Just food for thought.

Oscar.

Wow. Thanks for that. :confused:

I've been there a year, I've been promoted twice. My income is still less than I made before I had my 3 degrees, before I graduated high school even. I think two promotions in a year, in a company with in excess of 100 employees at this location alone is indicative of where I stand. Honestly, the job itself just isn't worth that much.. no matter how well you do it.

As for my education it was a waste because I would need to be promoted 2 more times before anything I know comes into play. For instance, my boss's boss is the one that writes the procedures we follow. Unfortunately, there are things she doesn't understand which makes the document worthless. For example the difference between "can" and "may" and "will be given/permitted/authorized". You know, just the basic use of the English language or technical language for clarity. The more I think about Gregg Meyer's response, the less offended I am. He probably just doesn't have any jobs to offer someone where intelligence or vast experience/knowledge is needed. In fact, it usually takes surprisingly little specialized knowledge to make a good living in this country.

And I totally agree that knowledge and money-making ability aren't always complimentary. Heck, I was doing quite well for myself when the firm I was at was helping illegals get into this country and get their citizenship without ever having to take a test, and often by-passing the usual waiting periods. I was paid a lot, not because of my legal knowledge, but that I could write up diagnoses that medical doctor's would sign, attesting to the fact that their patient had some weird disease. Good money, required specialized knowledge, required you to keep your mouth shut. We specialized in Middle Easterners. My bosses spoke Arabic and Farsi, so we had a diverse clientèle.

I know for a fact that my two superiors, who are two of the best bosses I've ever worked for, are capped, by a nation-wide company policy to less than 50% more than I make... which maxes their salary at about $32K. And I doubt they're even making that much.

But, hey, it's tough to find a job where you don't need to carry a knife for protection. For all the miserable stuff, at least I don't fear I'll be stabbed by customers or other employees.

Man, all this is why I'm glad I got into engineering; most of us get jobs within a month of graduation, with an avg starting salary of around $50K and room for advancement. Not to say we don't work our collective @sses off for it, though.

We still got nothing on quants, though. Those guys start at like $150K outta college, but you couldn't pay me any sum of money to take the job :p.

I really didn't mean to make you mad at me or what I said, I know I sure don't know everything. Your other job sounds really tough with the immigration thing with the medical records and stuff. Yikes. Any way I wi8sh you all the best and I truly hope you make wheel borrows full of money doing what you went to school for. You probably deserve it and you just haven't found the situation where you can put it to good use.

You know you could always join the military as an officer. They make well more than you do within 4 years. Think AF- nice and safe!

MikeFlynn74 said:
You know you could always join the military as an officer. They make well more than you do within 4 years. Think AF- nice and safe!

JAG did cross my mind... but LOL... I don't have the personality for that.

Back