Buy Once - Cry Once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmward21

Reaction score
I'm making the jump to all grain and I need some upgraded equipment. I don't mind putting in the time to DIY some things but I want to get the general idea of how big to go. Right now, I only foresee doing 5 gal batches, but I think I want to plan for 10 gal (med gravity beers).

My current brewing equipment list:
-8 gal heavy duty SS pot (loaner, can't modify). I think this will no longer be of any use due to the size.
-9 gal SS Turkey Fry pot and burner. I can modify this all I want. I think will make for a good HLT
-44 QT cube cooler. I could modify this into my mash tun, but I want to make sure it will be big enough for the 10 gal batches. Anything high gravity would be a 5 gal batch.

What do you recommend I buy? I think I need a 15 gal boil kettle. Is that too big for 5 gal batches? Is the 9 gal pot bug enough for a HLT? Like the title says, I want to buy once, cry once. In the future I plan on adding pumps and maybe automation, but for now manual fly sparging with a pitcher will work.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

:mug:

Just wondering, are you a biab or extract brewer?
If you are extract brewer, you could first try biab, if it works for you, great, if not, you are only out a few 10'ers for a brew bag.

You'll want a 10gal brew pot minimum

The 9 gal HLT should be good, and I think a 44qt cooler will be no problem as many use a 40qt round cooler

Although the 8 gallon pot is a bit on the small side for 5.5 gallon AG batches (7-7.5 gallons pre-boil), it will work with some diligence. I have one and am fine with it. Compared to that, the 15 gallon pot is monstrously big for that size brew, having a lot of surface for it's depth at 7 gallons.

A 44 quart mash tun is big enough for 5-6 gallon batches. Too big, and you'll get large headspace issues (losing heat). But it is too small for most 10 gallon batches.

Really, think of what you brew mostly, 5 or 10 gallons. I like 5 gallons for diversity, but do a 10 gallon occasionally. I typically brew 2 brews back to back to save time on prepping and cleaning. You could do 2 of the same, mashing the 2nd while the first is finishing up.

Not sure if you would need a true HLT. I do without, the kettle is where the action is, used for everything, and not just beer...
Batch sparging is way easier and faster than fly sparging.

Last edited:
Just wondering, are you a biab or extract brewer?
If you are extract brewer, you could first try biab, if it works for you, great, if not, you are only out a few 10'ers for a brew bag.

I've only done extract and I used the 8 gal pot. I couldn't do a full boil because it is a fat pot and boil overs were a problem.

In the future, I will be using the 2 pot method (HLT and boil kettle) with a cooler mash tun. I will fly sparge to save on efficiency. I just don't want to invest a couple hundred in a new kettle, then realize that it is too small.

If you want 10 gallon batches, get a 15 gallon pot. Some people like 10 gallon batches, they brew less often and can fill 2 kegs. Sure, you can brew a 5 gal batch in a 15 gallon pot. There are pro/cons of going with bigger pot, maybe its not best for every situation but you'll have more options with it.
At this point I'm happy with doing 5 gallon batches, I like to change up my beer style with every brew.

I just bought a BIAB bag for less than $9. Using that you could go all grain with just your 9 gallon pot (carefully watched). If you want a 3 vessel system, just get a 40-44 qt kettle and you can get started. I'd recommend installing valves on both the 9 and 10 gallon pots as well as converting the cooler to a mash tun (click here for easy instructions). Set it up as a 3 tier gravity system with two burners and you are on your way.

Although the 8 gallon pot is a bit on the small side for 5.5 gallon AG batches (7-7.5 gallons pre-boil), it will work with some diligence. I have one and am fine with it. Compared to that, the 15 gallon pot is monstrously big for that size brew, having a lot of surface for it's depth at 7 gallons.

A 44 quart mash tun is big enough for 5-6 gallon batches. Too big and you'll get large headspace issues (losing heat). Too small for most 10 gallon batches.

Really, think of what you brew mostly, 5 or 10 gallons. I like 5 gallons for diversity, but do a 10 gallon occasionally. I typically brew 2 brews back to back to save time on prepping and cleaning. You could do 2 of the same, mashing the 2nd while the first is finishing up.

Not sure if you would need a true HLT. I do without, the kettle is where the action is, used for everything, and not just beer...
Batch sparging is way easier and faster than fly sparging.

I prefer the larger 15 gallon pot for five gallon batches. The boiloff rate is higher, which means I sparge with more water, which leads to better efficiency. I also don't have to worry about boilover with a five gallon batch, and I have the ability to brew a 10 gallon batch if I want to.

I would go with a 15 gallon boil kettle. Mine can do 5-gallon batches with no problem, and it's actually barely large enough for a 10-gallon, 60-minute boil. I have to use kettle defoamer because the pre-boil volume for a 10-gallon batch is around 13.5 gallons.

I am on the fence about your cooler for a mash tun. I think it would probably work for any 5-gallon batches, and 10-gallon batches of low or medium gravity.

9 gallon pot should probably work for HLT, although you will have to fill it and heat it twice for 10-gallon batches (and possibly for 5-gallon batches as well).

Definitely get the 15 gallon boil kettle. I bumped up from an 11 gal to a 15 gal not that long ago and pretty much only do 10 gal batches now (time saver!). I use my old 11 gal kettle for the HLT and have a 48qt cooler for mashing, but I just jumped on a 70qt cooler deal at walmart to be able to do some higher gravity 10 gal batches.

Latest posts

Back