Buy a pump or counterflow wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
Looking for a new toy. What will save me more time, a pump or a counterflow chiller? I have an inversion chiller now.

Typically brew 5 gallon all grain batches with 10 gallon pot and igloo style cooler.

Thanks for the advice.

zc

I have a CFC and immersion chiller so if I were you I would get a pump and Jamil IC add on for the return

I wouldn't use a counterflow unless I had the pump to go with it. So if it where me I would get the pump first which will make collecting your wort much easier and then later add a counterflow or Plate chiller to go with it.

I wouldn't use a counterflow unless I had the pump to go with it. So if it where me I would get the pump first which will make collecting your wort much easier and then later add a counterflow or Plate chiller to go with it.

+1
Maaaybe if it was a plate chiller since they usually claim to be able to be used with gravity, but I wouldn't try to use a counterflow using gravity.

I agree with this. You can use a CFC/plate chiller without a pump but they are a hassle to clean without one.

what pump do you recommend and where is the best place to buy them?

Back