Butyric acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldoc1031

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weiss 2 months ago. It's attempted to do a sour mash and it smelled horrific at first which I've read might not be abnormal. The vomit or butyric acid smell has decreased tremendously but it still is there a little. Now the flavor wasn't there before but will the scent go away?

It depends on your brew process. Specifically did you use Brett? Brett will eat the Butyric acid and process it into a more tolerable flavor. If you did not pitch Brett, did you boil after the sour mash? If you didn't, there is a chance that some random wild yeast was on the grain for the sour mash and it will work process the Butyric in time. If you don't need the carboy (or keg or bottle if you packaged) then waiting cost you nothing but time.

When I made it i used my ss mashtun with mtss for temp control. I purged the little headspace remaining with co2 and sealed with sanitized plastic wrap. After 2 days I emptied the mashtun and boiled.

Back