Butterscotch Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounsy

Reaction score
Ok so I've been sitting around reading some recipes, and after seeing one for atomic fireballs I decided I wanted to try experimenting with a butterscotch mead. So I've decided to try a 1 gallon batch to start.

3lbs. of summer blossom honey
15 pieces of butter scotch candy
half a packet of bread yeast (it's just an experiment after all)

So first I started the yeast in a cup with some honey and water. Next I melted down and dissolved the candies in the remaining honey/water on the stove. The mixture minus the yeast is now cooling on the table in a 1 gallon jug. Once it's colled off I'll add the yeast to the mix and top it off....

It'll be a while still I just added the yeast to it... Hopefully it's really sweet when it's done.

OG: 1.11

butterscotchMead.jpg

well just saw that it wasn't hardly bubbling so I decided to take the cork and hose off and added 1tsp of yeast nutrient... can you say "explosive"... :eek: needlessly to say it's bubbling like a champ now...

well just saw that it wasn't hardly bubbling so I decided to take the cork and hose off and added 1tsp of yeast nutrient... can you say "explosive"... :eek: needlessly to say it's bubbling like a champ now...
Well I'd have done 2 things differently. I'd have melted the butterscotch in some water......

And I always, aerate carefully before adding anything, especially nutrient/energiser etc, as the addition of any powder/crystalline stuff can cause the mead to dump CO2 in a very explosive manner.

It's not known as a "mead eruption" for nothing........ :D

well I had melted it into more of a watered honey... I was using a honey water mixture that I made up to top off my other carboy of JAOM from racking so waste not want not.... :)

well I had melted it into more of a watered honey... I was using a honey water mixture that I made up to top off my other carboy of JAOM from racking so waste not want not.... :)
Fair point.

Hopefully that amount of butterscotch candy, will allow the flavour to come through nicely, though if not, you could always make up a syrup of water and more butterscotch for topping off, after the racking and clearing are done with.

Sounds like a lovely idea, very much in the same veign as making acerglyns, so they have enough maple syrup flavour....

Good on yer for the idea......

regards

fatbloke

this recipe looks awesome i may have to try this... keep us updated !

working on a carmel sundae dessert mead :)...^ this may have to come next

Yeah I decided experimenting with a 1 gallon batch since no one had a recipe available... when all is said and done I hope to have a nice recipe to let others know the results...

well took the SG today since I'm leaving for school this weekend and won't be able to do anything for a few months...

SG: 1.07

Taste: tasted good and sweet... Strong honey flavor, no distinguishable butterscotch flavor, added 5 more butterscotch to the gallon...

If you're by a LHBS or planning on ordering anything online soon, you could try steeping some crystal 60L or 120L in the water before adding the honey and fermenting. I know people have done this with ciders to get a caramel apple cider flavor. All of these butterscotch/caramel mead posts are making me think that I should try this.

In Czech republic, I had this mead with a dominant butterscotch taste : Jan Halada Zlata.

jh-zlata.jpg

However, the reviews you'll find are all over the place, from toffee to vanilla passing by woody-spicy. This makes me wonder if there is any consistency between each bacth of this mead. Maybe you can obtain the butterscotch taste by trying to eliminate the diacetyl rest from your primary fermentation.

This sounds delicious, look forward to updates on how this progresses. I wonder how it might work with other candies, perhaps anise squares? Hope this turns out as tasty as it sounds!

This Mead is finished at the moment and is bulk aging. It has a rich butterscotch flavor with a nice woody back end its very smooth and buttery. I will provide the og. And fg. Along with the ABV% and a finalized recipe for all to try I would. Love to see how others turn out I will also scale this recipe to 5 gal. For those who wish to go big

You can always add butterscotch flavor extract. Take a small sample and add drops to it and taste as you go. Count the drops it takes for it to taste like you want, then use that to guess what you will need for the rest of the batch. Just remember to go just a little under what you calculate, it's always easier to fix not enough flavor than too much.

TheShadowfox said:
You can always add butterscotch flavor extract. Take a small sample and add drops to it and taste as you go. Count the drops it takes for it to taste like you want, then use that to guess what you will need for the rest of the batch. Just remember to go just a little under what you calculate, it's always easier to fix not enough flavor than too much.

That's a great idea, I suppose you could do this with any traditional mead and add whatever extract you wanted to give it just about any flavor.

Indeed. I think I remember seeing a lot of odd extracts at walmart yesterday. I know for sure I saw rootbeer, I think I remember seeing a butterscotch too.

Back