butterscotch flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a Butterscotch-Chocolate Stout. I was wondering the best way to go about creating the butterscotch taste. I read something about Golden Syrup having this characteristic, but I am not sure when to add it or how much to add, nor if it is even readily available. This is only my second beer, so it would be very basic. I was planning on using a Stout kit and adding my own chocolate flavor (probably bakers chocolate) as well as the butterscotch. Does this sound feasible, or am I getting ahead of myself? Thanks for any input.

I'd try finding some butterscotch flavoring. LorAnn's sells very good candy flavorings. You might be able to find something there. I couldn't tell you how much of that to add though. Also, I wonder if a butterscotch ice cream syrup would work? You'd have to check the ingredients on both of these pretty carefully. Make sure there's nothing in them that will kill you yeast.

Stauffbier said:
Use a lager yeast and don't do a D-rest!

Exactly! Use techniques that keep diacetyl in the beer. Perhaps Pacific Ale Yeast from White Labs? It's the Redhook strain, which leaves a decent diacetyl-based butterscotch flavor. Ehh...

Back