Burton Water Salts question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
Going to be brewing a 5 gal Modus Hoperandi clone batch (extract & specialties) this weekend and will be using a pre-measured Burton Water Salts packet to condition my distilled water. It says 1 packet per 5 gallons of water.

I'll be starting off with ~7 gallons to account for cold weather boil-off, trub, etc.. Do I need to up the amount of salts due to the higher volume or calculate it based on what my fermenter volume will be ... 5+ gallons? I'm just concerned about the boil-off concentrating the salts if I put in something like 1 1/2 packets.

Thanks

If you really want to get technical... it depends. :D

If you are really brewing with Burton's water, then you would end up with concentrated salts, as you would start out with 7 gallons of water which would boil down to 5. And if you're making something where you would need to boil down even more (like maybe a Barleywine) then you might start out with 8 or 9 gallons of water, and need double the salts.

But 1 packet is probably reasonable, especially since you're doing extract, which technically already contains water salts that have been concentrated and rehydrated (since the extract maker does a mash using their own water, which contains minerals). So you might possibly want to use *less* than an entire packet if you're doing extract, as it may end up too salty.

Back