burnt steeping bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
Well I added 2 and a half gallons of water to my 8 gallon kettle steeped my grains turner a round grabbed anothe water to poor in and as I turned a around I notice the bag was touching the bottom of the pot and burnt a hole threw it..pretty big hole .. I figured not I could to fix it and continued brewing...have I poisoned my beer input would be appreciated thanx

You should be fine. After your steeping step, you boiled the wort and everything in it, which makes everything sanitary, including the small bit of burnt muslin bag. You're good, just don't do it again!

:confused: huh?

if i get this right, you burnt your muslin grain bag during the steep, and are wondering if it's ok to drink? i'd think so, worst case it could have a burnt grain, or maybe just burnt flavor, but i doubt it. and of course it's safe to drink, it was boiled, no?

Ya I didn't panic After I noticed what was happening I pulled bag out and just kinda tea bagged it added my dme after a half hour to a boil..i did finish brewing it's in my cupboard now I'll take a taste test when I get home to see if their is any burnt flavor..

At this point, it is what it is, just finish it up. You are not going to have any adverse chemical effects due to the boil, so bottle/keg, carb, condition. At worst, it's a "Burnt Ale," but it is certainly safe and drinkable!

Right on thanx brother just a bit scary...I'll give it a little taste when I get home and let you know what's up with my "burnt wheat"

I did this exact thing this last weekend! I didn't realize the bag was actually resting on the bottom of the pot (as I usually suspend it from the pot handle) and it burned a small hole straight through. A little grain spilled out when I lifted it off the bottom but I scooped out almost all of it using a sanitized spoon. After the boil, I strained the wort through a double mesh strainer into the fermenting bucket to catch what little grain remained. Now I'm just going to have to wait and taste it later :)

Alot of grain fell out of mine I just said forget it and I left it in so well see ..I did an easy street wheat clone so now it's called burnt easy

So I finally got around to tasting this beer. No burnt taste noted, although I wasn't pleased with the overall taste of the final product. Beginning to notice that many kits don't have enough or as pronounced favors as I think they should. Guess I am going to have roll the dice and modify as need :)

So I finally got around to tasting this beer. No burnt taste noted, although I wasn't pleased with the overall taste of the final product. Beginning to notice that many kits don't have enough or as pronounced favors as I think they should. Guess I am going to have roll the dice and modify as need :)

What kits are you using? I have used Northern Brewer Kits and feel that the brews I did from them are as good as any beer I can buy at the liquor store.

IMO if you add willy nilly you will never know what you are getting. If you make a kit, decide what you prefer, then make some alterations you can tweak until you have exactly what you want.

I use NB and MW kits. This last one was NB's Chocolate Milk Stout. The base of the beer (stout) was perfect but you couldn't taste the sweetness from the lactose (milk) or the chocolate supposedly infused from the nibs. Next time I will increase the lactose used, get the chocolate flavor a different method, and avoid nibs altogether in the future. Nibs just haven't cut it in ANY of my brews.

I also have finally tasted my easy "burnt" street..not too bad altho I've never even had an easy street.. Kind of an overwhelming flavor from the grains that spilt inside but still drinkable light and crisp..I will definitely brew this clone again to get real justice out of the recipe..if anyone in the sf bay area knows where to get easy street lemme know! Cheers

Back