Burnt smells during 60min boil. Will this affect my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuserjuicer

Reaction score
I used this water heater during the boil process and was noticing burnt smells from my wort. After removing it, I noticed it kind of got scorched. See here. There was no other way to get water to boil without it. I just left it in during the malt/hops phase. Some malt and hops probably got in the little holes and got burnt.
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if these 'burnt' like smells will drastically affect my beer.

I can't comment on the beer side, but as an avid cook, I can say that when you burn something in your broth that flavor does carry through to anything that's made using the broth.

Who knows, the burnt hops/malt may turn into a nice roasted coffee or caramel flavor in the beer, but since beer is just an cooking experiment, I'd think any burnt material in the wort would cause a change in flavor (but maybe not bad, just different than the recipe calls for)

Was it extract? A lot of times the heavier malt extract clumps at the bottom and burns if its on direct heat for too long. I believe this flavor does permeate into your beer and you will likely taste the burnt sugar taste in your beer. Next time make sure to stir often and well.

I am having the same problem with the last two batches. Brewing IPA full mash method. After the boil 1hr 10 mins chilled the wort and took the reading and tasted spot on. transferred to the fermenter and checked reading in 8-9 days and again spot on however when I tasted the fermented beer it was awful, tasted like ash/burned cigarettes. I noticed that the kettle prongs were black and cleaned them before starting our next brew a week later. All the processes were great until trying the fermented beer and got the same result of ash flavoured beer. Not using DME or LME so cant think of anything that will burn but the hops? not too sure what the actual cause is or how to fix this. Very annoying especially since my first two brews turned out fantastic. Help please

Back