Burnt pear jelly Perry.... an Experiment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckjohn

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is going to be a strange experiment for me...... I made up a batch of Pear jelly that boiled over, started burning, and got pretty carmelly and brown/black... Burnt you may call it..... It also never thickened - though I added a *TON* of pectin and Corn Starch too.... and has the consistency of Molasses.... and I bottled it up anyway before Christmas....

So... Make Lemons into Lemonade I say... so here's my experiment - tell me what you think....
My idea for recipe.....
1 gallon batch. Mix jelly with water to OG of 1.120.... Not sure how much sugar I need to add the jelly - so it will be dump, stir, check, dump, stir, check...

No pectic enzyme - I am worried about so much pectin that it will cause trouble with methanol when the enzyme breaks it down.... I used like 13 packs of pectin in the batch..... before I read the directions and understood the error of my ways..... This means I will have to deal with it settling out/clumping when the alcohol makes its way up there..... We will see what happens....

Corn starch - not sure what to do about it.. unless I mash it with some enzyme to cut it... Maybe a good idea - there's about a half box of it in the batch.... and I don't want alcoholic pear gravy....

Nutrient - yep.

Spices - maybe, not sure... gotta decide on this....

Campden - not sure... The stuff is canned - so it probably won't be too much trouble....

Anyway... Train wreck or fun experiment? :drunk: What do you guys think?

So... Anyway - this weekend, I officially started my crazy brew....

I used 7.5 pints of jelly + water to make 2-gallons @ 1.120
I heated it up to around 160F and pitched about 1/2 tsp Gluco amylase enzyme and let it sit for a few hours.. It seems like it got less grainy when I did this....

Also pitched 1 tsp of pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient.

Yeast is Nottingham - because that's all I had......

Off it goes - it has the color of Molasses, and after a few days it is starting to get some cloudy sediment settling out - I am thinking that is Pectin + corn starch.....

Thanks

Well... Nottingham is a bad choice for this.... It fermented from 1.12 to 1.10 and then quit.... I racked off a pretty large layer of junk - then re-pitched with premire curvee white.... I am seeing airlock activity, so let's hope for the best....

Otherwise, it smells really nice... Very fruity with a definate carmel note...

Thanks

Latest posts

Back