Burner suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcm_brew

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from my stove to a nice propane burner.. Doing 5 gallon batches but would like something that could do the occasional 10 gallon as well... Anyone have a recommendation for a good burner at a good price?

I went with a bayou banjo burner, and modified it to raise the burner up closer to the keggle. By the time I look at what I spent to raise it (parts, tool rental), it was close enough that I just should have bought the blichmann. But it does get a boil going fast.

I just bought the Bayou Classic 1114 Burner. It was $92.42.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000291GDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is a non stainless version for $50.00
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

But...... I haven't used it yet. There are some good reviews of it. If you are thinking the stainless...I think the Blichmann would be good to look at. I thought I could get some extra propane for $50.00 we will see if I made the right decision.

Burnner1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Blich, think it to be worth every dollar, but the bigger banjo KAB4 from Bayou is probably pretty close, there are other similar large banjo burners, too.

I always have to throw in my two cents on these burner question. I use a Bayou KG-40 . i don't remember the BTUs, maybe around 50-60k. They wereinexpensive (my two were $49 each through Amazon, free shipping, no tax) They are built to support more weight than my 15g keggle filled to the top.

A good burner if you don't want to spend a ton of money but want quality. Having said that, and if I have the throw away cash, I might just check out one of those Blichman burners. Many people rave about them. I doubt it's just because they are justifying the expense.

+1 for the Bichmann. The Bayou Classic SQ14 is also a great burner but the Blichmann is more powerful and will boil your larger batches with no issue!

I honestly have both the SQ14 and the Blichmann. I use the SQ14 for my HLT while the Blichmann works the boil kettle. A nice combo....

Maybe it's the SQ-14 I have, not sure where I came up Kg-40. It sounded right at the time and I hadn't even been drinking. Haha

Back