burner size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksteck

Reaction score
ordering burners from morebeer for beer sculpture, i want to be able to brew 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches. the h209 is 60k and the h212 is 92k , can you brew a 10 gallon with a 60k burner and can you turn down a h212 to brew a 5 gallon batch?

what is the best size

I have a 210k and from my experience it's a real PITA to try to maintain temp with it.

Bringing 12 or 13 gallons to a boil takes some time regardless of the burner that you're using. I've done a few 10 gallon batches (13+ gallons preboil) and it seems like it takes forever to get it boiling. I can't imagine trying to do it with anything smaller, but I know that others here have done so.

i wanted to use a LOVE control to run the burners and i though the smaller the better so the burner isn't cycling on and off all the time. but a don't to go to small and have it take for ever to heat up. I noticed on the brutus 10 he used the smaller burner and commented on a slow temp rise, whey spend all that money and have a slow rig?

you know the feeling, I got the wife to spend some x-mas money to brewing and I don't want it to go to waste. I just love this site, all the info rocks!!!!!

nicksteck said:
i wanted to use a LOVE control to run the burners and i though the smaller the better so the burner isn't cycling on and off all the time. but a don't to go to small and have it take for ever to heat up. I noticed on the brutus 10 he used the smaller burner and commented on a slow temp rise, whey spend all that money and have a slow rig?

Ahhh... Yes. Slow! You see to me it is a brew day... Not a brew hour my friend!

You know sometimes money just buys you time! :)

I'd strongly recommend the 92KBTU burner. You can always throttle the larger burner's propane supply upstream of the controller.

if I go with the larger burner and have it cycle on and off with a love controller will a larger burner light ok if its throttled down.

well I think im gonna start using an old J57 engine i have laying around. Sure its loud but it gets 20 gallons up to temp in 7 seconds.

david_42 said:
I'd strongly recommend the 92KBTU burner. You can always throttle the larger burner's propane supply upstream of the controller.

I agree with this, typically bigger is better. You never going to say damn that boiled to fast (well except during a boil over)

MikeFlynn74 said:
well I think im gonna start using an old J57 engine i have laying around. Sure its loud but it gets 20 gallons up to temp in 7 seconds.

He's not talking about brewing a batch in 20 min here, who out there hasn't wanted to brew but something comes up and cut's your time in half? not only that, I think he's trying to plan his rig with the "right" equipment. In other words... if YOU had a choice, which would you go with? I for one am interested in peoples answers out there because I just plain don't know.

Some people have thousands of $$ in brew equipment, some have a bucket and pot on the stove... both brew.

MikeFlynn74 said:
It was a joke- j57 engine is the same engine on the F4 and the B52.

I knew you were joking, (I actually prefer a personal nuclear steam generator for boiling...) but I was attempting (albeit poorly) to clarify a question. If you could have either... and why?

Well I always go with a larger burner- Tuning down is much easier than trying to get a burner to cook 110%.

Propane or LNG are easy to throttle given the right valves.

I use 210k Banjo burners in my rig, with 3 keggles. From my experience brewing with them, I've never had to go more than 50% to get a rolling boil. If I push any harder, I risk scorching/boiling over/melting ball valves, and I waste a BUNCH of propane. If I could do it over again, I'd go with this: http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295. Powerful, small, and cheap. WAY easier to mount than a Banjo. My final piece of advice: use a high pressure regulator, but include a needle valve for fine control. Then, you'll never have problems with TOO much burner.

i think i'm stuck going low pressure because i'm using furnace gas valves with the spack ignition modules and spark pilot assemblies. get them out of old furnaces that replace at work. an then using love controls to cycle the burners off and on. i just hope you can turn down a 96,000 btu burner and still have it light correctly, like a propane torch won't light if the gas is turned down to much. you know what i mean.

I have a 185k burner and just drop a match to light it. Just need a good regulator.

his engine placed the company in the forefront of aircraft propulsion development. The J57 eventually powered the B-52, YB-60, F-l00, F-l0l, YF-l05A, KC-135, Boeing 707, F4D, and A3D, as well as the Snark missile

Ahh I dunno where I got F4. I do know it was the original engine in the U2 until it was replaced with the J75

MikeFlynn74 said:
his engine placed the company in the forefront of aircraft propulsion development. The J57 eventually powered the B-52, YB-60, F-l00, F-l0l, YF-l05A, KC-135, Boeing 707, F4D, and A3D, as well as the Snark missile

Ahh I dunno where I got F4. I do know it was the original engine in the U2 until it was replaced with the J75

Man, this sounds like a lot of GREAT IPA names!

Thats it... J57... Next batch!

nicksteck said:
can you brew a 10 gallon with a 60k burner and can you turn down a h212 to brew a 5 gallon batch?
I have a 65k burner from a turkey fryer on my standand I can boil 13 gallons no problem. After the first runnings are in the boil kettle, I light the burner. The second runnings come out closer to boiling than the first 6 or 7 gallons, so no temp loss there. It really doesn't take too long to get a good rolling boil going, maybe 20 minutes or so.

The bigger burner with a smaller batch might result in excessive amounts boiled off and require a larger volume to start with.

colplink said:
That's what I thought as well. I cut my eyeteeth in the NAVY on that powerplant!

Lonnie,
What did you do for uncle sam's canoe club? Airdale I presume.... I was stationed at NAS Corpus for the mid to late 90's... met a few good brownshoes... just a FEW.

I'm going with the 92k burner from morebeer.com i can turn them down if i have to but still have the power to bring it to boil.

thanks for the input

Nick

I'm bumping this thread because I am ready to buy burners for my Brutus 10 style rig. The pictures in BYO show 10 jet burners, but state them to be 100k BTU low pressure from Morebeer. The only 10 jet burners I see on their site are 60k BTU.
Are the Brutus 10 burners 60k or 100k?

ScubaSteve said:
I use 210k Banjo burners in my rig, with 3 keggles. From my experience brewing with them, I've never had to go more than 50% to get a rolling boil. If I push any harder, I risk scorching/boiling over/melting ball valves, and I waste a BUNCH of propane. If I could do it over again, I'd go with this: http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295. Powerful, small, and cheap. WAY easier to mount than a Banjo. My final piece of advice: use a high pressure regulator, but include a needle valve for fine control. Then, you'll never have problems with TOO much burner.
+1M. Trust me, you don't need anything bigger than this for 10 gal batches. I don't ever have to turn those WFO (0-30 psi reg). Plus you can hard plumb those easy with a this. Here's what my plumbing for my single-tier stand looks like - really easy to put together.

Also, Bobby said those multi-tip burners can be a little finicky turned down or if given too much gas. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52154&highlight=burner (see post 6)

Very nice. I am going to use a similar setup for the gas plumbing. I might try to use drop ear tees and 90's to attach pipe to rear frame cross beam or use tube straps like you did on the uprights. Thanks for the information.

Back