Burner for keggle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
I'm picking up a keg this weekend to convert to a BK, so now I need a burner to use with it.

Cost is definitely an issue, but I also don't want to just waste money on something that's not up to the task. The plan is to be doing 10 gallon batches, although the rest of my equipment dictates that I'll be sticking to 5 for a bit.

What sort of BTUs do I need to be looking at?

For some reason I seem to be leaning toward the Hurricane Burner. The low psi appeals to me because I seem to equate that to using less gas. Still, I know enough to know that a btu is a btu and you have to burn gas to produce heat, so I'm confused on why they make such a big deal about the low pressure.

Assuming that 10 gallon batches in the keggle are going to be as big as I go for quite some time, what would be the most cost effective burner to buy?

Also, what will I need to do as far as a stand to support the keggle? Most of the burners I'm finding don't look like they'd support it on their own.

I just got all my equipment together for 10g AG including the burner yesterday. From everything i found the bayou classic sq14 seems perfect for what im looking for (im using a converted sanke as well). I havent used it yet but i supports the keg awesomely in the stand it comes in. If you are planning on just using the burner and attaching it to your own setup it disconnects with just one screw but maybe you can find the burner by itself. like i said i havent used it but it gets great reviews. The BTU's on it are 55,000 and from what i read that is plenty.

It's also half of the price, only up to 10 times the psi, and 5,000 BTUs less. I grabbed it from amazon.

Yeah, someday down the road I plan to have a big fancy brew stand like I see posts about, but for the time being this will just be the burner sitting on the driveway with the kettle on top.

Nice to know that the stand will support a 1/2 barrel keg.

Still confused about what the big deal is with the Hurricane Burner operating at 1 psi. I assume they're equating that to fuel usage, but like I mentioned, a btu is a btu, you have to burn the gas to get the heat. But propane is pricey, I'd definitely be willing to spend a bit more on the burner if it would save me on propane tank exchanges in the long run.

Yeah i cant claim that know the efficiency of propane between the two burners but i do know that i have the sq14 and any knowledge about how much more i could be saving is trivial because if i do end up liking how it handles then i wont see it necessary to switch to a different one. and up front cost is a TON more important to me than an extra 1-2 dollars a brew. Hey whatever you chose i hope it works great, just do your research, chose what YOU want, and it might be nerve racking but you eventually have to pull that trigger heh.

Just spent almost half an hour reading through the Amazon reviews on the sq14. Sounds like it'll do what I need and it's half the price of the one I was looking at. Thanks for pointing it out.

Still open to other suggestions, but if nobody chimes in with something better by Friday then I think that'll be my burner.

Just so I have an idea what I'm getting into, how does your propane usage come out with that burner? What can I expect to get out of a standard 20# propane tank?

Back