Burner experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nystevecf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well burner gurus I need some help. This is my home stove and from day one it burnt a dirty flame (I know, I know, I should have fixed it sooner).

I am attaching some pictures to help illustrate my problem. I have tried adjusting the screw inside the first picture im posting and it didnt help. Aside from that im kind of at a loss on what the next step should be other then calling an "appliance guy". But I will post other pics as well to see if there is something im missing. Thanks for any help!

stove2.jpg

The only one I've seen do that was a stove that was in propane service that had a NG orifice in it. I suppose it has an electronic pilot, if not, is the pilot flame "dirty" also? I would say check the oriface to make sure it's clean/correct one.

Duh - picture of ignitor.

I'm no stove expert but in my experience what you've got there is a lack of oxygen. Have a look under the burner for some ports that let air in. See if you've got a bunch of crud or toasted bug parts clogging the inlet.

I'm no stove expert but in my experience what you've got there is a lack of oxygen. Have a look under the burner for some ports that let air in. See if you've got a bunch of crud or toasted bug parts clogging the inlet.
Should I take the cover that is screwed down off? This happened since day one on all the burners and I bought it brand new if that helps.

Does the top lift off, or is the face plate removable, there are air shutters on the burner tubes next to the jet at the control knob end. Most makes of ranges use a sliding sleeve that is held by a sheet metal screw, loosen screw and move sleeve until there is just a touch of yellow at flame tip. To adjust flame heigth, turn screw in center of knob shaft to desired flame level.

This happened since day one on all the burners and I bought it brand new if that helps.

Why wasn't this fixed day one then while it was under warranty? Your manual should have troubleshooting info - it's probably blocked up air passages like the other guys are guessing.

Go to the site below. They're great, you'll save money on parts, and their help section rocks. Even if you guess the wrong parts once or twice and just keep replacing till it works; you'll still come out ahead of calling in a service dude. Plus you'll learn something. :)
http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/RepairHelp.aspx

-OCD

Why wasn't this fixed day one then while it was under warranty? Your manual should have troubleshooting info - it's probably blocked up air passages like the other guys are guessing.

-OCD

Because I was away on training for a year after it went in. I checked the manual and didnt see anything then adjusting the screw in the knob.

The only one I've seen do that was a stove that was in propane service that had a NG oriface in it.

Are you on propane or natural gas? The first thing you need to check is make sure you have the correct orifice in it. My stove came with a natural gas orifice in it and the propane one was in a bag taped to the gas valve on the stove.

Propane, there werent any extra ... ok im gonna say it orifices with it. I guess I will ask the manufacturer which the stove is set up for. Thanks guys!

The only one I've seen do that was a stove that was in propane service that had a NG oriface in it.

Yeah, if you're on propane, I'm sure it's the orifice. Call on of your local appliance parts place and they should hook you up. Let us know. Luck - Dwain

A big thanks to all that helped, it is set up for natural. $160.00 later and it will be converted. Lesson learned, never even knew there was a difference or to ask at point of sale. All lessons cost money right :mug:

Is $160 for parts and installation, or are you getting more than just orifices? Just curious, read all the way to the end of the thread and the answer isn't there.:(

Glad it's a relatively cheap fix for ya tho.

-OCD

Is $160 for parts and installation, or are you getting more than just orifices? Just curious, read all the way to the end of the thread and the answer isn't there.:(

Glad it's a relatively cheap fix for ya tho.

-OCD

It is a whole conversion kit, they said they are normally like 25 but this one is 75 because of the model(of course). And he said he might knock some off the instal price if it isnt as hard as he thinks it will be. I would do it but it is a sealed top and I dont feel like breaking it.

Back