Burner and LP Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
Anybody have the below burner? Approve? Looking to stay in the $50 range and buy from Amazon as I have a gift card there. I am going to be purchasing the 15g Penrose Kettle from Brewhemoth.

Also, how quick does your propane tank go when brewing? I am about to make the step up but want to factor in how much of an expensive propane may be.

That burner will be fine. If you are going to do 10 gal batches, you are probably looking at about half a tank(20lb) of propane

That burner will be fine. If you are going to do 10 gal batches, you are probably looking at about half a tank(20lb) of propane

Generally how many batches does a propane tank last? If I'm doing hour long boils, propane could get expensive.

I probably get 4-5 five gallon batches, possibly more but other people grill with it. Refils cost me 18$, so for 10 gallon batches your looking at 6-9$ a brew session.

Also note I'm using a high pressure burner, which consumes lots of propane.

The above burner I believe is a high pressure burner. I would only get a tank for brewing probably but it'd be nice to get a few more brews out of that. Oh well...nobody said the hobby was cheap. :)

Really if you break it down there is no way that brewing at home is cost efficient at all. Ingredients alone but all of the stuff like propane the cost per batch cannot be cheaper than a store ---- and I'm talking non domestics. I guess its about the passion.

Back