Burned Bit Drilling a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
So I have a Coors keg i made into a keggle and am wondering if anyone ran into the same problem that I did on drilling a no-weld valve. I used cutting oil and had help but I burned out my step drill bit. Is the standard keg have like super graded steel to handle the pressure of the beer? I want to install a valve in my stainless steel boil pot and am afraid of running into the same problem.

The problem is the stainless steel. It's can be a b**** because it is tough material and will work harden when attempting to drill/machine it. The key is to use oil and go SLOW on the RPMs.

I used a smaller metal bit with dish soap for lube to drill a pilot hole, then put more dish soap on my step bit and quickly drilled out the hole. No burned out bits or aggravation. Good luck!

Don't waste your time, buy a quality bit. I've drilled tons of holes in SS kettles and kegs, go out and buy a cobalt (cobalt being the material not the brand) bit or the whole set.

While a bit priced at 5x the average China import will last longer, it will be just as susceptible to work hardening as the cheaper bits. It's absolutely more about technique and your drill motor. You spun the bit too fast and didn't use enough pressure.

When I was drilling out the control box for my electric brewery I burned up a drill. I didn't use enough oil and not using enough pressure.

Going slow with a little pressure plus plenty (more than you think) oil and you should be ok. Also having a quality bit will make a huge difference.

Just this past weekend I did 9 holes with the step bit purchased from Bobby at Brewhardware. I had zero issues, using the slow with pressure technique.

Back