Burley Trailer -> Beer Trailer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
I've recently become car-free thanks to a car thief.
I'll want to take kegs to parties throughout the summer, and I want to modify my bike trailer so I can take 1-2 full corny kegs and a CO2 canister to parties.
I'd like to still be able to use the trailer for regular loads.
If I can dispense beer en route, that would be a bonus.

I'm thinking that something that could slip over the existing frame, and be tied down with straps would be the way to go, but I'm having a hard time imagining what the would look like, and what it would be made of.

Bike Trailer - http://www.burley.com/support/FlatbedManual.pdf.pdf

Cheers :mug:

I would add a thin piece of plywood inside the frame, drill holes and slots for your tiedown straps and ropes to secure everything above.

I have the Burley baby trailer top line with the full weather proof hood, sunroof and screen, the full monti plus the detactable zipper bug screen, tires and red flag. It was used for under 5 miles only once, the flashings still on the tires in brand new condition been in storage for years. Base price was $385 before tax so it was over $400 new, kids are too big me with a bad back hence why still brand new in storage. (Offers?).

I'm imagining...

Plywood base (or slats for weight reduction) and u-shaped brackets that would place over the trailer from with wing nut bolts to secure.

Two L shaped corny holders on hinges so the travel flat but simply fold upright for dispensing.

The gas and fittings you can figure out for yourself :)

kegBike.jpg

This is what I whipped up today. Worked great on a mile test ride, though I wouldn't mind a lower gear to pull 130 pounds uphill.
I may need to alter the trailer to get the load directly over the axles, as the frame does bend a little bit.

corney_trailer.jpg

corney_trailer_2.jpg

Design is great except that the C02 tank must be upright in use!

Thanks atfan, I didn't know that, and it makes sense with CO2 being a liquid.

I wasn't planning on hooking up the regulator in this configuration, as it doesn't quite fit, and now I know I'll need another design if I want to dispense in transit.

how do you plan on keeping it cold?

Good question. With the current setup, I'll have ice at the destination, so I'll just put them in the lager fridge until travel time. I've been thinking about getting/making something like a keglove, which seems neat but spendy.

Good question. With the current setup, I'll have ice at the destination, so I'll just put them in the lager fridge until travel time. I've been thinking about getting/making something like a keglove, which seems neat but spendy.

Find an used neoprene wet suit and cut the legs off to use as your keg glove.

Find an used neoprene wet suit and cut the legs off to use as your keg glove.

After pricing bulk 6mm neoprene online, and used wetsuits (most are thinner than 6mm) on CL, the keg glove no longer seems so expensive.

Latest posts

Back