Bung fell into carboy, how to get it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveganbrewer

Reaction score
I was using a pre-drilled bung stopper on my 5 gallon secondary last week and when I went to insert the airlock, as I pressed it into the hole, the bung somehow got pushed into the carboy. I inserted another one and beer came out fine, but now I've got the bung sitting on the bottom of the empty carboy and I can't get it out!

Anyone ever had this happen, is there a solution?

Craigtube on youtube has a neat way to get it out that I think imolateus showed him. Look that up. He uses a tee shirt inserted in the carboy to get it out. Really cool.

I would use a pair of needle nose pliers, the kind you use for discourging fish hooks. They're very long and narrow. You should be able to grab the bung rather well if you flip over the carboy so it lands over the opening.

Thanks for the tips guys, didn't get highlighted in my history so I never saw the responses. I'll try the t-shirt tomorrow.

Was nervous with craigtube rocking the carboy on ceramic tile, I'm scared to death of the things.

I ran a wood screw into the end of a stick by a few threads,push the stick into the c-boy ,the screw head into the bung hole small end up and pull it back through the neck.

This just happened to me...on my habenero stout.. Guess I'll have to wait and see to get it out.

Mind BLOWN. I did the same thing a few months back, wound up using a bent coat hanger (after several tries, and many many cusswords) to snag the bung into the neck close enough for me to get it out with my pliers. Next time I will try this trick. Amazing.

You can get it out with a cheap plastic bag. just stick the end into the opening, move the carboy around so the bung gets caught in the side of the bag and just yank. I have done this a few times and it is surprisingly easy.

Back