bulkhead height brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
I purchased a weldless bulkhead from Bargainfittings. About how high should I install this on my brew kettle? I also got the whirlpool adapter. Using 15 gallon pot, it was getting a little to heavy to lift all of the time.

not sure what the whirlpool adapter is, but I put my bulkhead fitting about two inches above the bottom weld on the keg. Put it somewhere where you can build/implement a decent pick up tube.

I put mine about 2" up as well, since it made for a nice formed diptube length. The problem I have is that using the Bargain Fittings sightglass, 5 gallons doesn't even show in the glass. My sightglasses are for 10 gallon batches only. This hasn't ruined any beer, but I was hoping to be able to use the sight glasses, but to get any volume accurately, I need to measuring cup it.

The moral, if you are ever going to share the bulkhead with a sightglass, put it as low in the kettle as humanly possible.

Back