Bulkhead and ball valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hinke

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a stainless steel bulkhead, 3 piece ball valve and 2 stainless steel nipples for a MLT.

My question is should the nipples be able to be threaded in all the way? I can't get the nipple to go all the way into the bulkhead, it still shows threads which causes a small problem with my 12 inch false bottom in the cooler.

Also, the same with the 3 piece ball valve. I can't even un-thread the nipple from the ball valve, and I did not tighten it hard.

I bought all this from Austin homebrew store.

I think those nipples are tapered. So no, the threads won't completely seat all the way flush. Maybe a shorter nipple?

You are correct. I just looked at them closer and they are tapered.

I guess I can live with it. It's a close fit to my false bottom, but it will probably work.

I just can't figure out how to get the nipple off the 3 part ball valve. I must have tighten it too hard (I just used my hands with a wrench, NO wise). I tried to put the ball valve on a wise to un-thread, but it won't come off.

Can I heat up the part around the nipple to get it off?

Are they tapered to get a good seal or what?

Thanks.

Yes, I think they are tapered to seal. As for getting it off the valve, I would suggest placing the valve in the vice and use a pipe wrench to back the nipple out, being careful to not damage the theads too much. Heat may work too, but I wouldn't think it was seized enough to need that.
Good luck, I know those things can be a PITA.

Back