Bulk Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackalacky

Reaction score
Wow, so I just looked at ordering hops by the pound for ~$10 versus ~$3/oz at my LHBS. I had no idea I was spending so much more than I needed to.

I want to buy probably 3-4 pounds of hops in varieties that have the most multi-purpose use (bittering and aroma) or work well in lots of different styles of beers.

I'm starting to get to the point of wanting to tweak some recipes to my liking, so it will be easier to add smaller or larger quantities of hops instead of being tied into the 1 oz packages.

What types would you suggest I get? I mostly brew pale ales and IPA's, but I usually throw in some different styles here and there. I'm thinking cascade for one pound, but after that I don't know.

Cascades is sure bet. You'll have to look at what you like and determine what are the common hops for you. I usually keep Cascades and Centennial in stock but others do otherwise. +1 on getting a better deal for a pound than by the ounce at the LBS......

I say get EKG. I just chose to stock up on EKG because my LHBS was out of it like 3/5 times I needed it for a recipe.

just saying

Man, that is tough...

It really depends on what the recipes you like utilize, and what you personally prefer.

One idea, that has nothing to do with the OP, is getting a group buy together, even 2 or three people. This would allow you to lower your quantity to 8oz and double the # of varieties.

We did one this year, some guys took home 2 ounces, some took home 10 pounds of a single variety. They all paid about $1 an ounce at the time. It was a win win.

If you log into Hops Direct (I assume this is where you are shopping) they have a description of each hop and what it is typically used in.

Here is some of what I have (I love Pale Ales)

Cascade
Centennial
Galena
Magnum
Perle
Nugget

I also have an assortment of more noble hops like

Mt Hood
Hallertau
Tettnanger
Fuggles

I don't make many English styles, so I just buy fuggles and EKG by the ounce, or split a pound with someone. I also rarely make German lagers, so I buy noble hops by the ounce.

I make mostly IPAs, APAs, and ambers. So I bought cascades, amarillo, magnum (bittering), and northern brewer hops (california common!) by the pound.

I think the_Pol had a great idea- find a friend to split them with. Then you can buy more varieties. If I could get 8 ounces of other hops, I'd buy them.

wish I had a friend to split with.

my closest brwing buddy lives 130 miles away and he's just started so buying hops in bulk is something he thinks he won't ever do.

oh how wrong he is!

wish I had a friend to split with.

my closest brwing buddy lives 130 miles away and he's just started so buying hops in bulk is something he thinks he won't ever do.

oh how wrong he is!

Why not start a thread here on HBT to see if there are HBTers in the area that are willing to do it? I got about 8 guys together that I hed never met!

Yeah - I have 16 varieties in my freezer because of The Pol's hops ambitions... lol
Just post it in the General Discussion area...

Yeah - I have 16 varieties in my freezer because of The Pol's hops ambitions... lol
Just post it in the General Discussion area...

Next year we are doing malt and hops Brian.

Group buys in bulk are amazing.

That's a good idea...

Anyone in the Raleigh NC area want to get together on this?

Youd have more success starting a new thread and making the title...

Group Hop Buy, Raliegh NC, $1 per ounce SHIPPED!

That will get more attention, make the disclaimer that $1 is an approxiamte price, and the exact pricing will depend on varieties and how many pounds yuou buy (shipping is aggregate).

Thinking about:
Amarillo
Willamette
Northern Brewer GR
Magnum
Nugget
Fuggle
Cascade

Any opinions..? Maybe too heavy on the aroma hops?

Also, this is a dumb question...... how much room does a pound of hops take up in the freezer? I mean I know how big an ounce is, but it's hard to visualize a pound.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd like to get some EKG, but I don't see it on Hops Direct website. Am I looking at something wrong?

Thinking about:
Amarillo
Willamette
Northern Brewer GR
Magnum
Nugget
Fuggle
Cascade

Any opinions..? Maybe too heavy on the aroma hops?

Also, this is a dumb question...... how much room does a pound of hops take up in the freezer? I mean I know how big an ounce is, but it's hard to visualize a pound.

Thanks.

Edit: I'd like to get some EKG, but I don't see it on Hops Direct website. Am I looking at something wrong?

Since you admitted to being a hop head, you might consider some Columbus and some Chinook for the Pliny the Elder fans in your life.

A pound of pellets is like the size of a big sandwich (pretty compact). I'm not sure about the leaf I only bought pellets (bigger I guess).

The EKG is listed under Goldings.

2oz of leaf is about the same size as 9oz of pellet.

Like the previous post, one pound of hops will be about the size of a thick sandwich when vaccuum sealed.

Here are some photos.

This is 11 pounds of pellet:
P1020533.JPG

This is 50 pounds (small bags are 1 lb)
P1020534.JPG

9oz fits into one jar (2 oz of leaf will)
P1020538.JPG

More pics of 1 lb packets (see letter on floor for scale)
P1020532.JPG

Very helpful pics! You look like a kid at Christmas opening that box of hops.

I think I can fit 5-7 pounds in my limited freezer space.

How did you seal those jars? Just dump it in and screw the lid on? I don't have a keg system, so I'd have to improvise a way to flush the jars with CO2 if necessary. (Maybe a bottle of that wine keeper gas? Probably not very cost effective though.)

Very helpful pics! You look like a kid at Christmas opening that box of hops.

I think I can fit 5-7 pounds in my limited freezer space.

How did you seal those jars? Just dump it in and screw the lid on? I don't have a keg system, so I'd have to improvise a way to flush the jars with CO2 if necessary. (Maybe a bottle of that wine keeper gas? Probably not very cost effective though.)

My FoodSaver has an attachment that vaccuum seals jars.

2oz of leaf is about the same size as 9oz of pellet.

Like the previous post, one pound of hops will be about the size of a thick sandwich when vaccuum sealed.

Here are some photos.

This is 11 pounds of pellet:

This is 50 pounds (small bags are 1 lb)

Dude - you're killin me. I'm not worthy.

Back