Bulk Hops on eBay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are several sellers who offer hops by the pound on eBay.

Does anybody get there hops this way?

No... Very happy with the quality and service from Freshops.com - ships fast arrives in great shape and prices are great. You pretty much know what you are getting.

I bought a pound of Liberty & another pound of Cascades off Ebay.. The Liberty seemed to be what they advertised - Fresh 2008 hops with good color & fresh aroma. The Cascade were browned & didn't really hold together in a good cone, just lots of leaves. Like most stuff on Ebay - hit or miss.

I agree with XXguy. I bought two pounds a couple months back off a guy on there. One pound was pellet, gallena. The other was whole hops, centennial. The centennial were shipped with NO protective bag. Just the mylar bag they come from the wholesaler in (damn near the size of a couch pillow) with a USPS shipping label slapped on. Needless to say, there were numerous rips and tears in the bag with hops FALLING OUT as the mail lady brought them into my office saying "This package smells funny....." Needless to say...those were no good. The galena were in a very thin shipping envelope. On closer inspection, there were also numerous smaller pin-holes in the mylar bag. Also not usable.

Both definitely smelled cheesy....

On the plus side, the seller was very good about the refund. I e-mailed him (on the side) and told him they were no good and he instantly credited me my money back through paypal. No dispute through e-bay, etc. Definitely screwed up my brewing plans, though!

I would say.....buyer beware, though YMMV!

FWIW - I have ordered through NikoBrew (see the vendor showcase below the classified) and had good service and product!

Back