Bulk Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
I've decided to buy in bulk. The cost savings is a no brainer. But I'm have a hard time deciding which base malts to buy. I typically brew IPAs, Hefes, and stouts. Nothing sour or not many lagers even tho I have the capability to lager.

So I'll for sure get 2-row, thinking a sack of wheat too and am up in the air for the 3rd. I could get a pilsner malt since my hefs are 50 wheat/50 pils but I don't see much else that'd I'd use the pilsner malt (unless I'm being narrow minded about this malt). I had thought about marris otter but that's basically the same as 2 row even tho they have differences. Any thoughts here?

I Go through 2 row like its going out of style. I only get 2 batches out of a bag (10 gallon brews) I have Bulk Marris Otter for certain brews(Irish Reds) but realistically don't notice much/any difference between that and 2 row. I bought a 50 bag of Vienna over a year ago and still have some left. I would just double up on 2 row but that's me

I usually keep MO, "standard" 2 Row, and Pilsner.

I use MO for my malt forward beers (stouts, ESBs), the two row for my hop forward beers (IPA, Pale Ales) and Pilsner for hefes and Pilsners or other light lagers.

2 row is cheaper and not as "bready" so that's why I keep both MO and Pils.

I don't make enough wheat beer to justify a bag so it's easier for me to grab 4 or 5 pounds when needed, along with my speciality malts.

All that said, I am also strongly adding Vienna to my inventory. I've been on a Vienna kick lately!

I do 2-row, maris otter, and Belgian pils. But I use pils a fair amount. And MO I wouldn't say is basically the same a 2R. You'd probably have to do a lot of wheat beers to go through a sack in a reasonable time. Buts that's just me.

Personally from what you say you brew I would go 2 Row, Wheat, and Pilsner. The pilsner would also allow you to do lagers if you wish along with your hefes.

I would have to disagree with you on Marris Otter being the same as 2 Row. I use it alot and sometimes sub it for 2 row if I want a little malt forward ale. I mostly use it on English Pale Ales or Strong Bitters though, but I always have one of those on tap, usually with a wheat beer and either a Pale Ale or IPA depending on how much hops I feel like and a porter.

I keep domestic 2-row and Belgian Pils on hand at all times. And those are the only things I buy by the sack, as I don't brew with wheat enough to justify it.

One of these days I'll drop the coin and try some MO or other pale in addition to my usual domestic 2-row. But I haven't experimented with it yet, and most of my recipes are calibrated to my own tastes using 2-row.

I find that 2-row can be a bit bland for beers that aren't aggressively hopped or don't use a fair amount of specialty malt. So my blonde ale is a mix 50/50 of 2-row and belgian pils. And whenever I brew a lager, or anything belgian, I use a lot of the pils.

I am set up for lagers, but have not done many. So I keep 2 row. Maris Otter and something else. Whatever is available or strikes my fancy at the time. Usually a pale malt of some nationality. Those are similar if not actually 2 row, but they are a bit different the same way Maris Otter is different. Right now I have 2 row, Maris Otter and Vienna. I also have 25 other malts in smaller quantities. I can make almost any style of beer without getting more malt or hops.

Thanks for the discussion. I do use wheat in other recipes than just my Hefes so I could get some decent use out of a bag. I know the general rule of thumb is that unmilled grain will last for about a year if properly stored. Is that roughly the same for wheat?

Maybe I'll go for MO, but it's roughly $25 more per bag at my LHBS, so not sure if I'll pull the trigger. Thinking most likey pils and I can more lager recipes

I made a near SMaSH Lager with MO and it has convinced me that it's a waste of money. It tastes just like regular 2-row. It's not bready, or malty, or anything really.

I buy domestic 2 row, Belg Pils, Maris and White Wheat by the sack. Usually a couple or so at at time. I brew 10-15 gallon batches with a total brewhouse efficiency of around 70%. I lose a ton in the fermenter so that kills my eff. I used 24# today to brew 18 gallons of 1.044 wort into the fermenter, for reference.

Its spendy but golden promise is my favorite tasting base malt. I usually get this domestic 2 row because it is really cheap. Infact at 35 a sack or whatever it is, it is so hard to pass up. I sub it for whatever and live with it. I might splash out for golden promise next time. They offered me a deal on the franco belg pils I am using now and it is nice.

Is everyone buying bulk at their LHBS because I haven't found an online store that the shipping doesn't kill you and take away from the "cheap" bulk buy....no HBT group buys in my area

I buy domestic 2 row, Belg Pils, Maris and White Wheat by the sack. Usually a couple or so at at time. I brew 10-15 gallon batches with a total brewhouse efficiency of around 70%. I lose a ton in the fermenter so that kills my eff. I used 24# today to brew 18 gallons of 1.044 wort into the fermenter, for reference.
That seems like a lot of grain for an .044 beer. What do mean you "lose a ton in the fermenter". I'm confused how a fermenter has anything to do with grain loss?

That seems like a lot of grain for an .044 beer. What do mean you "lose a ton in the fermenter". I'm confused how a fermenter has anything to do with grain loss?

If you lose a lot of wort in the fermenter that means you have to brew bigger batches to get to the same finished volume (I'm assuming 2-3 kegs in his case). Since you're brewing bigger batches, you use more grain, and your brewhouse efficiency is down.

I brew a pretty wide variety and I buy bulk every time I get to a town with a real HB store. I keep a sack of Briess 2 row pale, Weyermann Munich and Pilsner, and a sack each of rye malt and wheat. Probably half my beers will have some wheat or rye so it actually goes pretty fast.
Like a lot of y'all I'm done with MO once this bag runs out, I am not supertaster and just can't justify the extra cost.

Over here, 2-row, munich and Vienna malt are nearly the same price, so I've no 2-row except the odd belgian quad needing some.....

I have Munich and Vienna for smashes in 25 kg bags and buy pilsner once a year in winter when i can lager easily.

I made a near SMaSH Lager with MO and it has convinced me that it's a waste of money. It tastes just like regular 2-row. It's not bready, or malty, or anything really.

That has not been my experience. They are both pale malts so there is not a ton of difference, but there is a distinct difference for me.

Is everyone buying bulk at their LHBS because I haven't found an online store that the shipping doesn't kill you and take away from the "cheap" bulk buy....no HBT group buys in my area

Group buys are best but I have not been able to participate in any. My LHBS has pretty good prices so that is where I shop.

I have not found anywhere online where shipping is not a killer.......

Is there a local small brewery you frequent? If so, ask them if you can order a bag or two from them. Ask if they could add an extra sack or two when they place their next order. They might be very willing to help out a home brewer and you could get it at their cost. The brewery our home brew club meets at offers this to us and it's nice to get a 50lbs sack of 2-row for $40.

Is there a local small brewery you frequent? If so, ask them if you can order a bag or two from them. Ask if they could add an extra sack or two when they place their next order. They might be very willing to help out a home brewer and you could get it at their cost. The brewery our home brew club meets at offers this to us and it's nice to get a 50lbs sack of 2-row for $40.

Be sure to check if they're purchasing pre-milled. Some of the pub brewers near me told me they were ordering smaller quantities and pre-milled to save the labor, mess, and hardware.

I bought several sacks not that long ago and I'm regretting a couple of the sacks

Pale ale 2 sacks of 55#
Vienna 55#
Munich 55#
Biscuit 55#
Rye 55#
Abbey malt 55 #

The rye and abbey(chateau) were a big mistake the biscuit is paying off in a couple beers, the rye and Abbey, not so much

I reckon I could do a rye pa or a Belgian, however i'm open to ideas

I'd do the same as above next purchase except scale back on the rye and abbey

I would have to go with Golden Promise, 2 row and pilsner at 2 bags each. Then red wheat, rye and vienna. All else I just take whats is needed in small quantities. Yes I do get it all from a local brewery including half bags some times.

I keep buckets of Belgian Pils (one of my favorite malts), and some kind of North American pale malt. I think I like Rahr pale ale malt a little better than plain 2-row.

I don't brew enough to stock pils, 2-row, and a pale ale or Vienna in bulk. And I've never tried British pale ale malt, like MO or Golden Promise.

I add a few pounds of rye to stouts,rye pale,rye IPA, but I also do roggenbiers with 40% rye, 60% pilsner that are very popular. I bitter with Perle, and add Strisselspalt in several late additions for aroma and flavor. I prefer White Labs Hefe yeast, but others work.

Yes... One store near me doesn't honor their 10% AHA discount on sacks of grain, which is a bit annoying. I'll try the closer LHBS next time and see if they'll do so. I think I need another sack of 2-row soon.

I add a few pounds of rye to stouts,rye pale,rye IPA, but I also do roggenbiers with 40% rye, 60% pilsner that are very popular. I bitter with Perle, and add Strisselspalt in several late additions for aroma and flavor. I prefer White Labs Hefe yeast, but others work.

Agreed. I do a Rye Pale Ale with 25% rye...

I also do a "HefeRyezen", i.e. roggenbier at 50/50 rye/pils like yours.

I've done a Vienna Rye Lager that turned out very nicely as well... Probably 80/20 Vienna/rye... That could easily be converted to an ale recipe if the poster isn't set up for lagers yet...

I used to buy my sacks of grain at Northern Brewer; sometimes I'd drive up to get them, and sometimes have it shipped when I had a coupon to almost cover the shipping.

Now, one of the local liquor stores has started selling some brewing supplies, and they have sacks of grain pretty reasonable so I buy there. I think I paid $38 for a 25 kilo bag of 2-row recently.

I buy equipment and specialty grains mostly at the real LHBS, and hops online.

I bought several sacks not that long ago and I'm regretting a couple of the sacks

Pale ale 2 sacks of 55#
Vienna 55#
Munich 55#
Biscuit 55#
Rye 55#
Abbey malt 55 #

The rye and abbey(chateau) were a big mistake the biscuit is paying off in a couple beers, the rye and Abbey, not so much

I'd do the same as above next purchase except scale back on the rye and abbey

I can see this.. You have to have an idea how much you will use and make an educated purchase. Basic base malts is all that I buy in sack amounts.

I use rye a lot but it would take a couple of years to use a sack.

I have never used bisquit malt. From a 2013 thread: "biscuit is a specialty malt. it's not really meant to be a main ingredient so much as something you fine tune with".

I have also never used Abbey malt. Maybe make a LOT of Belgian ales....

If you lose a lot of wort in the fermenter that means you have to brew bigger batches to get to the same finished volume (I'm assuming 2-3 kegs in his case). Since you're brewing bigger batches, you use more grain, and your brewhouse efficiency is down.

Correct. That was my point. I'll have 3 5-gal kegs of finished beer so my brew house efficiency isn't high like some people shoot for. But grain is cheap so it's only a few extra bucks for that. I gain a lot with my conical because of my glycol setup and the unitank design that I don't mind the loss. I keg carbonated beer.

Hoppy beers are bad for efficiency as well. Lots of wort gets sopped up with hops.

Buying in bulk negates these issues because it's much cheaper. And learning what you like to use means it is on hand for the beers you want to brew. I stock up on specialty malts in 5-10# quantities for all my staple beers and then just buy small quantities for the one offs.

Cool, I think the Rye will be easier to get rid of than the Abbey. I can sneak it into most beers. I've never made a roggenbier, however I've made a nice Alt bier with Perle and Strisselspat, they make a good combo

I figure I can sneak in some abbey in beers that's call or pale ale, wheat or pils

I can see this.. You have to have an idea how much you will use and make an educated purchase. Basic base malts is all that I buy in sack amounts.

I use rye a lot but it would take a couple of years to use a sack.

I have never used bisquit malt. From a 2013 thread: "biscuit is a specialty malt. it's not really meant to be a main ingredient so much as something you fine tune with".

I have also never used Abbey malt. Maybe make a LOT of Belgian ales....

I normally take really good inventory. They were on sale and was like , eh, why not - big mistake

I'm more worried about the abbey than the rye

I use a lot of biscuit , so also not worried there

If you frequently make a wheat beer, I'd roll with wheat, German Pils and two row. I brew two or three different summer ales during the summer months (one is an Oberon-like beer, another that's fairly close to Scrimshaw, and another that's like Kolsch meets Spotted Cow) and all use Pils.

Of course most of my winter beers use MO, so ... hmm ...

Back