Bulk grain buy in Philadelphia area? (existing or interest in starting?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
Is there an active group bulk grain buy in the Philly area? If not, is anyone interested in helping to start one? I probably haven't thought this all the way through (don't have the location to host the delivery/pickup being the first issue). Anyone who has helped organize a group buy have any suggestions for how to organize this (what to do, what not to do)?

After reading through some of the threads on bulk malt buys and reading through the North Country Malt Supply price sheet that seems like a great way to reduce brewing cost, and having lots of grain on-hand would encourage me to brew more often!

Has anyone ordered pre-crushed malt from NCMS before? I understand it really reduces the shelf life, but any other issues? I will just have to brew big, and often! not a big issue when you have a taste for big Belgian beers!

I would be interested if you could get this started. I live in upper bucks county.

We did one last month and had it delivered in Pennsauken. Worked out great. I would be down for another bag of specialty.

Yeah, our club could probably support another 8 or 10 bags. We found a loading dock (a club member has one at work) to use as well. I think to make it a great value, we need to fill the pallet. If you get something going we'll take some grain.

Hey guys!

I'd be happy to organize this one again unless someone else has already started up.
Feel free to PM me your orders and I'll get the thread started up after work.

Happy Brewing!

tentatively 1 sack wheat 1 sack honey (will only increase)

just incase he doesnt receive due to inbox limitations

FYI i think it was 42 sacks on the pallet last time

does anyone know where to find the bulk grain order list? it asks for a password on the NCM site. I guess its the same as the malts offered on the homebrewer catalog?

not sure if my PM to lordura went through so here it is

1 x Franco belge pils
1 x TF Halcyon
1 x Best Vienna
1 x CMC 2 row

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks lordura for taking this on!!!!

Awesome to see how quickly this seems to be coming together!

I PM'd you, but just in case I'm in for 3 bags:

2 x MFB Pilsen (FB-PILS)
1 x MFB Standard Wheat Malt (FB-WHET)

I need all bags crushed (I understand that NCM will do that for $2.20/ bag)

Thanks!

Jim

How did this work out? Is it likely to happen again? I'm just about finished my milling station.

Can someone pm me details?

for some strange reason they have moved just the south jersey group buys to the recipe and ingredient section. That is now filled but another one will be started as soon as delivery is made on the existing one.

I wish the moderator would move the sj/philly group bulk grain buys back here where they have been from the start

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/

Back