Bulk Aging Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwaffles

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was wondering... after the first few weeks (month) of fermentation with lower temps, can mead by bulked aged in the mid to low 70's (room temp) without causing off flavors etc?

After major fermentation is done and racked once? Does it need to stay in the 60's for the entire time (6 months to year) before bottling? Just trying to get a feel for what people do. I don't have a cellar or basement so its in a fermentation chamber (freezer with temp control) and the freezer can only hold so many carboys and I have so many things I want to brew!

Temperature control is most important during fermentation and varies based primarily on the type of yeast you use and it's ideal ranges. Once it's complete and I mean by verification of stable hydrometer readings not just because the airlock stopped gurgling then the temps become marginally less important. I wouldn't set it in a sunny window where it'll cook because that'll cause breakdowns and potentially have a negative effect on your final product, but you more than likely will get away with room temps. I'm lucky enough to have a cellar that maintains a steady temperature year round so I actually age a little cooler than I ferment at.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I age in the bedroom. I block off the window so there is minimal light and keep the vent wide open for AC and door stays shut. This generally keeps the room about 5-7 degrees cooler than the rest of the place and not much extra effort.

Back