Bulk age or Bottle age...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
Hey all,

My two meads have been in the secondary for 3 months. They need at least another 6 months ageing. Any one have advice on bulk aging in my 1 gallon glass jugs or in the bottle? Benefits? Drawbacks?

I am sort of feeling like putting them in a bottle...just to be done with it, and free up space...

THANKS!

JB

I like bulk aging but it's not going to hurt to age in bottles since they already have a few months on them. Sometimes practicality (space issues) needs to be the decision maker.

I had a 6 gallon batch start fermenting again after *one year* in the carboy. I wanted to ensure the batch was thoroughly degassed, so I started stirring it which led to a further month of fermentation.

I would never start bottle aging after just 3 months in a carboy.

I keg, and I have turned two of my old pin lock 5 gal kegs into bulk ageing vessels.
Might be more work than people like but I do primary, rack at around 1.010-20, then age until clear. Usually around 2-3 months. Then I add "clearing clay", let settle for a week and rack into the keg.
I don't have to worry about the air lock going dry, etc. I just fill them up, top them off with CO2, purge the air, etc. Set it and forget it. Matter of fact I need to check the dates on the one I still have ageing.

Back