Bulk age after backsweetening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsCradle

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I recently made a cherry mead with 71b goferm and a TOSNA step schedule. My starting gravity was 1.128 and I was surprised to see that after 12 days in primary my gravity dropped to 1.000. After the 1.000 reading I decided I wanted to start the backsweetening process so I added sulfite and sorbate. My question is should I have bulk aged before the stablizing process, or can I backsweeten and then bulk age?

That's exactly what I do. I allow the mead to clear in primary, rack to secondary, stabilize and back sweeten. Most of my meads get oaked for 3 months and the tannin from the oak helps clear the honey haze from sweetening. Rack off the oak and bulk age until bottling.

Hi Maylar thanks for your reply. I can assume that even if i stabilize super early, the age will help develop and mellow out my mead? I read somewhere that its the yeast themselves that help take care of off flavors and with my yeasts paralyzed this may not happen?

You have to let the yeast complete their task before stabilizing, which means that the ferment is complete. I've read also that if you stir the yeast up once a day for a couple weeks after the ferment is done that the yeast will "clean up after themselves". Sounds like a good theory, so I do that. Then let it all settle, rack to secondary, and stabilize.

You have to let the yeast complete their task before stabilizing, which means that the ferment is complete. I've read also that if you stir the yeast up once a day for a couple weeks after the ferment is done that the yeast will "clean up after themselves". Sounds like a good theory, so I do that. Then let it all settle, rack to secondary, and stabilize.
When you stir up the yeast do you stir all the lees on the bottom of your bucket?

Latest posts

Back