Building on a SSR based wifi resistive load controller product, any interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chmorgan

Reaction score
I'm building a resistive load controller with wifi support, 5500 watt capability, and external temperature sensor. While researching the design I kept finding people posting here on homebrewtalk about using SSRs.

A few people are using prototypes of the module as solar pv diverters to heat hot water vs. exporting to the grid.

Any interest in a prebuilt load control unit like this for use in home brewing?

Great question! I assume this would give you flexibility to control your brewing process using a PC or phone application? Would you be writing such a program or plan to interface in a present solution? Please share more details.

Hi @JohnBrews.

There is a restful api to query and set things such as the ssr duty cycle, read the optional external digital temperature sensor etc.

The device itself is intended to be controlled from another system so if there was a temperature profile, timing etc, that would currently have to be driven from an external system like a PC or a phone application through the restful api.

In general, those who have the technical background to script or program say an ardiuno or pi can create a controller for a solid state relay with wireless connectivity. Or you can use one of the many wireless modules sold for IoT purposes, they come with a small but powerful MCU that would work. There are many examples of this on the internet, including free designs or development kits.
If you wanted to commercialize your idea i'd recommend you offer the complete controller, rather than a sub component that needs further knowledge to use. However, i'd say the market is rather saturated and isn't worth it, unless you could easily demonstrate why your product is better than the competition!

Hi @JohnBrews

I can appreciate that. I'm not really in any position to build a full system, I'm not into brewing etc.

Do you have any links to these projects or is there a list or page here that links to them? I'd be interested in what other people are doing in this space?

Back