Building my kegerator this week, quick question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiller

Reaction score
I going to have a false panel inside the door to hold the faucets, so the door can be locked to keep the kids out. I'm trying to plan ahead to when I add a stout faucet. Does a stout faucet stick out further from where it is mounted than a regular perlick 425? I need to figure out how far back to mount the fake panel and insure clearance with the door. The fake panel will be hinged to allow easy access to the interior. I am taking pictures and plan to show it off later. :p

Thanks in advance

You can also just unhook the liquid out quick disconnect off the kegs and lock the door when not in use. IMHO, this is much easier than building a false door to house the faucets.

I cannot answer your original question as I do not have a stout faucet.

Just figured I'd chime in and say that I like your idea the best of the three. I think your solution will be much slicker and less cumbersome than either suggestion, even if it is more work at the beginning.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Oh, and I also don't have a stout faucet.

I have a Guinness branded faucet (not sure who the original manufacturer is). It does stick out much further than any other faucet. It measures 5-1/4" from the tower face to the front of the faucet, and 7-1/4" to the face of the protruding Guinness logo.

You do know that you can buy faucet locks to keep those kids out right?

Yes, but they are almost as expensive as the faucets. Since I'm starting with 4 faucets and plan to add more in the future I'd like to avoid the expense even if it means more labor setting it up.

You can also just unhook the liquid out quick disconnect off the kegs and lock the door when not in use. IMHO, this is much easier than building a false door to house the faucets.

I cannot answer your original question as I do not have a stout faucet.

Yeah, but as tprokop mentions below, it's not as elegant, plus hooking it up just to pour a couple would get to be annoying. Especially for the wife and her girl friends if they are drinking when I'm not there.

Just figured I'd chime in and say that I like your idea the best of the three. I think your solution will be much slicker and less cumbersome than either suggestion, even if it is more work at the beginning.

Can't wait to see pictures.

Oh, and I also don't have a stout faucet.

Thanks!

I have a Guinness branded faucet (not sure who the original manufacturer is). It does stick out much further than any other faucet. It measures 5-1/4" from the tower face to the front of the faucet, and 7-1/4" to the face of the protruding Guinness logo.

Ouch! Thanks Yuri, I think I'll assume I'm going with an unbranded faucet and give myself 5-1/2" from the inside of the door unless someone else chimes in with other numbers that make that unrealistic.

to all, part of the reason for this approach is that the "fridge" already has padlock hasps riveted on from the factory for me to take advantage of to keep the four doors closed. Most evenings I'll have one beer, with more on the weekends so I want to avoid having to disconnect/hook up kegs all the time. Hopefully I'll have pics up by the end of the week.

I would like to see some pictures of this when you're done. It's a cool idea, and if you can get it to work properly, it might be something I look into for my next fridge(mines about 30 years old and not worth the time).

That's a pretty cool idea. I've tossed around the idea of having a panel flush with the surface of the door with the taps behind it. The panel could fold down and hold glasses while you pour, maybe a drip tray, could also have a filing cabinet type lock on it.

Back