Building Monster Mill base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
For my birthday I got the 3 roller monster mill...thanks to my family. It's awesome. The whole thing will be mounted on a sturdy 1/2" board. I am deciding how I want to build the encasing for it and I thought it would be cool if I encased it in plexiglass. Anyone done this?

I could do it easily for the top and the adjustment side, however the other side with no mounting bolts would be trickier. Could I just superglue the plexiglass to the monster mill?

That sounds great....One thing I recommend buddy is you buy their 11lb hopper....it is a very nice product.

Could I just superglue the plexiglass to the monster mill?
No.

Well, let me rephrase that - you could, but do you really want to superglue something permanently to that piece of art?

Check out John Beere's EXCELLENT little station. I plan on copying that to the last screw once I get my stainless MM3: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-milling-station-73570/

Although doing the hopper out of plexiglass would be badarse!

Unfortunately I don't have the space for one like that. I've already got 2 chest freezers that take up my extra space...I found a mill design online that was made to store inside an ale pail, which is what I plan to do. I need to keep it small and storable.

I emailed Fred at Monster and he suggested using tape, maybe double sided tape instead of the superglue. Mainly just for the reason that it's easier to remove if I need to. I keep this updated and show you guys what I come up with.

not finished but you could do something like this. I recently got the hopper from him so I had to remount the mill on top. I'll have to retweek some things but it does work pretty good for now.

Picture_0171.jpg

October_08_032.jpg

October_08_036.jpg

No.

Well, let me rephrase that - you could, but do you really want to superglue something permanently to that piece of art?

Check out John Beere's EXCELLENT little station. I plan on copying that to the last screw once I get my stainless MM3: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-milling-station-73570/

Although doing the hopper out of plexiglass would be badarse!

Velcro the plexi plates to the sides, cheap simple and removable for cleaning or service.

I emailed Fred at Monster and he suggested using tape, maybe double sided tape instead of the superglue.

Velcro the plexi plates to the sides, cheap simple and removable for cleaning or service.

Here is one more idea.
You can buy them in any size and shape.

100_0595.jpg

100_0602.jpg

100_0603.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I build a top/frame for my 2 roller mill. It fits in a 5 gallon bucket and I use another bucket for a hopper. The buckets stack, and the mill and drill both fit in the top bucket.

I'll post pics when I get home next week.

B

Here's some pics of my mill setup.

DIY 'base/housing/thingamabob' for the mill.
2 5-gallon buckets, one with a hole as a hopper.

It all stacks up on my shelf with 23" clearance.

B

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

...did we both independently come up with the same idea?

Because that would be weird.

-Joe

Maybe, but I'll admit I saw another one like it here on HBT. That's where I got the idea originally. I do need to make a few changes, like using a thumb screw and insert to hold it down, rather than the bungies I use now. I'm stealing your idea for that.

I did a quick search and can't find the thread that I first saw.

B

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I was wondering about nostalgia and bad_coffee's mill setups. Do you guys still use these setups? Do you see any wear on your rollers and if so, is more wear occurring on the side nearest the drill? Are there any improvements to the design that you'd make if you did it all over again?

Thanks! My MM2 mill is arriving this week and i really like the simplicity and easy storing nature of your setups.

I haven't noticed any wear in my setup, and I've put several hundred pounds of grain through it. The only thing I'd change is to make the shaft hang off the side to make it easier to hook the drill up.

-Joe

Thanks! My MM2 mill is arriving this week and i really like the simplicity and easy storing nature of your setups.

For ease of storage, how about a pull out shelf. Mine is at the exact height of a 5 gallon paint bucket, so when I pull it out it rests on the bucket and (almost) creates a seal. I mill in my living room (yikes!!!) and get very little to no dust from the milling process, just from dumping the grains into the tun.

I just vacuum the undercarriage and push her back in. As an apartment brewer, I don't have room for another table. Everything I brew with is inside that table (or is a ferm chamber/keezer).

(This took a lot of fumbling with, there's like a 1/4" of space between the top of the motor and the brew table. It works fantastic though. The shelf is a 100 lb max weight.)

IMG_1008.jpg

For ease of storage, how about a pull out shelf. Mine is at the exact height of a 5 gallon paint bucket, so when I pull it out it rests on the bucket and (almost) creates a seal. I mill in my living room (yikes!!!) and get very little to no dust from the milling process, just from dumping the grains into the tun.

I just vacuum the undercarriage and push her back in. As an apartment brewer, I don't have room for another table. Everything I brew with is inside that table (or is a ferm chamber/keezer).

(This took a lot of fumbling with, there's like a 1/4" of space between the top of the motor and the brew table. It works fantastic though. The shelf is a 100 lb max weight.)

Haha I LOVE this! I will definitely build to this design at the next house. For now, I'm all set.

Back